New Homebrewer

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

JustinJohnson

New Homebrewer

Post by JustinJohnson »

Hello everyone.

My name is Justin Johnson and I'm a new homebrewer. I picked up the hobby in my apartment a couple years ago but it's been on and off since then due to lack of space and equipment. Now I've built a house and have plenty of room and have acquired lots of equipment and I'm ready to get brewing! I'm looking for a boil kettle that will hold a full batch at once and was told that a converted keg would work nicely. Back in college, those things were everywhere. Hell, I had two standing in as the legs to my tv stand. But since I've moved to DFW, it seems impossible to find. Of course, I'm not going to keg parties anymore either.

Does anyone here know where I might find an old keg shell that would work well as a boil kettle? As far as converting it, I'll have to read up on that as well, but I can't do anything until I find a shell. Does anyone know any advantages or disadvantages in using a keg shell?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to checking this site out more and more!

-Justin
Little Elm, Tx
MixnMatchBrew

Re: New Homebrewer

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

The advantage of using a keg is they are very rugged and will last a lifetime. They work well for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.
Give me a call if you need a keg or if you have any questions. I've got several available and can set you up with the drain, fittings, tubing or whatever you need.

Wayne
Telephone:
(972) 836-7023
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]