November Brewday

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Mike Grover

Re: November Brewday

Post by Mike Grover »

Rob - I accidently wound up with your funnel from the brewday. I can bring it to the X-Mas party or would be happy to get it to you sooner if you need it.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Mike Grover wrote:Rob - I accidently wound up with your funnel from the brewday. I can bring it to the X-Mas party or would be happy to get it to you sooner if you need it.
Mike,

How did your share look after it settled? Did you pitch it as is or pour it off the debris?
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Racked it off the debris first. I probably got 3 to 3.5 gallons. I pitched a blend of yeasts - they were recently expired ones donated by Brian, plus I pitched some of the yeast cake from an American stout that I kegged over the weekend. American farmhouse, American ale blend, and two types of witbier yeasts are in there. Let 'em duke it out and see what happens!
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

Mike Grover wrote:Racked it off the debris first. I probably got 3 to 3.5 gallons. I pitched a blend of yeasts - they were recently expired ones donated by Brian, plus I pitched some of the yeast cake from an American stout that I kegged over the weekend. American farmhouse, American ale blend, and two types of witbier yeasts are in there. Let 'em duke it out and see what happens!

I like your style... x-mas party is fine.. see you there..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
rack04

Post by rack04 »

MixnMatchBrew wrote:What yeast did everyone use for their batch?
I pitched a 2 liter starter of WLP550. Started bubbling after 8 hours. Pretty high krausen after 36 hours. Did anyone take a gravity reading?
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

It was 1.056 I believe.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

1.055 is what I had at the end of boil.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
aperkin

Post by aperkin »

I just pitched some dry american ale yeast that I already had. Didn't take a gravity reading until about 8 hours after pitching and got 1.054. Fermenting at 70. Krausen started forming around 24 hr as I recall.
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Had my batch in the garage and brought it inside to keep it warm.

Still bubbling along.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

MixnMatchBrew wrote:Had my batch in the garage and brought it inside to keep it warm.

Still bubbling along.

I've moved my amber and pale to secondaries this evening.. happily sitting in the tub getting a good rest.. got a chance to use my "new fangled" carboy cleaner.. worked great..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

The Strong dark is still bubbling.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
rack04

Post by rack04 »

Mine just stopped bubbling. I'll probably let it sit for another week and then check gravity.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Racked mine to secondary yesterday. Bubbling was very slow and the beer was still pretty turbid. Gravity was about 1.014. Had a bit of funkiness to it so I think the American farmhouse blend left its mark.
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

Bottled both batches tonight..

100 bottles of beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer.... wait two weeks and take one down...
rack04

Post by rack04 »

RobDrechsler wrote:Bottled both batches tonight..

100 bottles of beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer.... wait two weeks and take one down...
What was your final gravity? I'll probably keg mine this weekend when I get back to D-Town.