Mixing a "weak" beer with a "stronger" one

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanWeary

Mixing a "weak" beer with a "stronger" one

Post by RyanWeary »

So - I brewed a Märzen back in....well March. I transferred it several weeks after primary to let it lager until Oktoberfest. It fermented out perfectly - however....it tastes watered down. I checked it again and it's got a good flavor albeit weak.

I'm at work now so I don't have all of my notes from that brew day - but I recall having only about 3.5 gallons of pitchable wort after boil with an INSANELY high gravity. Ergo - I boiled off more than I calculated for.

My solution at the time (which I'm now regretting) was "well, if I could add cold water to an extract to get to my target volume, why can't I for an all grain?" Clearly, something went wrong.

My OG post-water addition was a hair less than I anticipated WITHOUT the addition of water. I calculated for 1.058 and got 1.056 - or something marginal like that. I thought - well cool, this is going to work.....it did not.

So, I was thinking - Can I just brew an "Imperial" Oktoberfest and mix it with the weaker brew to create a double batch of pretty good stuff?
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
Bill Lawrence

Re: Mixing a "weak" beer with a "stronger" one

Post by Bill Lawrence »

You certainly can. Many of the commerical brewers do a higher gravity wort then "water it down" to consumption strenght. Also, Newcastle brown ale is actually a combination of a stronger beer with a weaker beer, not even the same beers. Back in the day, blending was the norm and the big boys still do it.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer