looking for a grill grate

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

looking for a grill grate

Post by RobDrechsler »

looking for an 18" or so grill grate to put on top of my cooker since it is too small to hold a converted keggle. any recommendations...

I don't weld and don't have access to one to learn..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
sirjohn

Re: looking for a grill grate

Post by sirjohn »

Hello RobDrechsler,

I picked my grill grate up at Home Depot. This was a few years ago but may be worth looking into...
John
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

yes, I went by HD and Loews.. they now only carry grates for weber.. Sports authority had a 24" one that might be a little flimsy.. the larger weber with the handles may work, I just wish the charcoal grate was about 2" bigger, it would be perfect.. may have to look at non-grill alternatives..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Rob,

You should be looking for a "charcoal" grate. A charcoal grate is made from thicker material than the BBQ grate.

You should try to find this locally: http://store.weber.com//items/?pid=1272
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

yes, saw those, that's exactly what I'm looking for, except the one everyone carries, is 16", same size as the keg... weber makes a 67cm grill which is the next size up, if I can find who carries the charcoal grate for that , I'm set... I did find a ceramic coated one for $35.. but hoping I an go lower....

anyone have an old shopping cart around? :mrgreen:
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

anyone know where I can buy expanded metal mesh here in town?
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Look up steel suppliers. Or, I know that Turner Hardware in Farmer's Branch keeps some in stock. For grates, look up Grill Doctor or other such places. If they don't have it in stock they can get it.
Leroy
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

RobDrechsler wrote:anyone know where I can buy expanded metal mesh here in town?
I have purchased Steel from both:

Garland Steel
312 S International Rd, Garland, TX 75042
http://www.garlandsteel.com
(972) 494-6000

Wylie Steel Limited
2001 N Highway 78, Wylie, TX 75098
(972) 442-2568
Orlando Guerra
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I've purchased from these guys and have been happy http://www.metals4u.com/
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

I found a nice piece over at Metals Supermarket just off 35 and inwood.. cut to order , didn't have to pay for a whole sheet..
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Guerra wrote:Rob,
You should try to find this locally: http://store.weber.com//items/?pid=1272
I found the above, at least I think it was, at Academy (DNT & Parker) $12.98.
Orlando Guerra
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

I found the weber charcoal holder to be a tad small... I cut the expanded metal to fit and wired it to the cooker.. will test it out tomorrow :D
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

got to use the new grate and keggle last night.. boy it took a long time to get to a rolling boil.. I've decided on a modification and I'm going to cut out a section of the grate in the center so my flames aren't spending their time heating the grate and not the keg bottom. i think that'll help the boil time... any thoughts?
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

How far is the keggle sitting from the flame base in the set up? I assume with your turkey fryer burner, it's about right, but most people say 4-5" is optimal for heat transfer.

What style of burner is it? If it's a 10 psi, it may just take a while to get going. Make sure the flame is a nice even blue/white. If it's yellowish, change the air intake a little.

That's my suggestion. You may be getting some turbulence from the grate, but if others have been using them, I doubt that's the issue.
geauxwillett

Post by geauxwillett »

Sorry for the late reply. Just joined. If your propane regulator is 10 PSI, it will take a long time to get to a boil. Similar to boiling in outdoor pots (i.e. crawfish), 20 PSI is best for home use. If you can get a jet burner, get it. If you are doing 10 gal batches in a keggle, you'll need the BTUs. https://www.pelicansky.com/productdetai ... =98&cat=65