Fermentability of Malts

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Fermentability of Malts

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I have been using Promash to predict the Final Gravity of my beers. I was taking OG * (1 - average apparent attenuation %). This assumes that all the sugars in the OG are fermentable. That is not the case with some of the specialty malts.

This might explain why I do not get the as low a FG as I was calculating.

Does anyone know how to calculate the fermentability of wort given a mix of malts in the mash?
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Bill Lawrence

Re: Fermentability of Malts

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well, I really don't know how to calculate it but I just throw the yeast in there and then let them do their thing. To tell you the truth, I don't even bother measuring finishing gravity any more and haven't for several years now. I just wait for the stuff to stop bubbling then rack it to a secondary fermenter. I do however taste it at some point before I keg or bottle it it so I guess you could say that I use the "Willy hydrometer". By the way, I would think that predicted attenuation would involve the % of malt adding unfermentable sugars in the grist, the mash temperature as well as the yeast strain used. Consider the extreme example, a beer mashed really hot to obtain a dextrinous wort with alot of crystal malt using say the Fuller's yeast strain as compared to exactly the same wort but fermented with Brett, one will have a pretty high terminal gravity while the other will end up bone dry (assuming of course you wait long enough). As a guess, I would expect that in a normal situation you will end up with roughly 20% to 25% of your original gravity but at the end of the day, I'm going with the "Willy" test every time.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I don't know that I want to drink anything that the Willy hydrometer has been in ;->
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

Here is a website I use when I'm designing beers:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

In fact I used it last weekend to create an Imperial IPA and I hit everything on the nose. Now, as long as my yeast ferments all the way through, I should hit my predicted FG of 1.012 - 1.014. If that happens, it'll actually be the first time everything went perfectly from start to finish.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

A guy in the Homebrewtalk forum did a test. His results are at the end. Pretty interesting.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/testin ... lt-208361/
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022