First Round Judging

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Mike Grover

First Round Judging

Post by Mike Grover »

First round judging for the 2008 Bluebonnet Brew-Off begins this Saturday and continues on Sunday. Judging begins at 09:00 (10:00 on Sunday) at Coors Distributing, 2550 McMillian Parkway, Fort Worth. This is just SE of the intersection of Meacham and I-35W. We will be putting a link up to a map on the home page.

We need to have a good showing, as there are well over 1,000 beers to be judged. We need both judges and stewards. This thread would be a good place to discuss carpooling.
Kason

Post by Kason »

I would be very interested in carpooling/ catching a ride to Coors on Fri and Sat. I live in Richardson, right around the corner from HBH. Anyone else up for carpooling?
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Kason -

If you haven't found anyone else in your area that is going over, we have a group meeting for breakfast in Carrollton tomorrow morning. We are planning on eating ~ 7:30 and leaving around 8:15 or so. If you can make it, we are meeting at Los Lupes which is at the SWC of Josey and the PGB Turnpike. Give a ring on my cellphone 817-705-5245 if you are interested. Otherwise just show up and bring anyone else who is interested. Judging will start at 9 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m Sunday and run until about 5 p.m.

Mike
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

We had a pretty good showing today for first round judging. Don't forget that judging continues tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. (and don't forget to move your clocks ahead one hour tonight). Sunday turnout is usually not quite as strong as Saturday. There are a LOT of beers yet to be judged, so please make a day of it if you can. If you can only spare the time to judge a flight or two, that still helps us immensely.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Update:

As of today I believe that we have about 50 flights left to judge, out of a total of 127. We knocked out almost that many on Saturday, so it can be done in one day if enough people show up. Thanks to everyone from the club that made it out this weekend, and a huge thanks to those that came out for both days. It is a huge help to the folks that organize the Bluebonnet if we can wrap up judging on Saturday and give everyone a weekend day off.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Yes, there are 50 flights left to judge. Thanks to those who came out to help. I'd like to see you all back on March 15 if possible. If you were not able to come out March 8 or 9, please try to come help on March 15. We'd really like to finish first round judging that day. There will be plenty of bread and water, and a catered lunch to all who attend. Judging will start at 9:00 on Saturday. I hope to see everyone back, and some new faces as well.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

You know how to get to the Coors facility, right? From DFW, tale 121 South, 121/183 South/West, 820 West, I35W South, exit Meacham (first exit), Left on Meacham (under I35W), Right on Mercantile (first right), through stop sign, Right on McMillan, Left on turn-around (before I35 access road), then Right into Coors Parking lot. Before you turn right on McMillan, you will see the Coors facility directly ahead.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Don't forget to judge tomorrow in Fort Worth. As I mentioned at the club meeting, we need a strong turnout. If you can, try to show up as early as possible (judging starts at 9). There is still a lot of great beer to judge, and a large variety of styles remain. If you are interested in carpooling (or you are driving and have room for more), reply here and see who is driving from your area. Fred David mentioned that he will have a space available and he will be leaving from Plano.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

What is the story on completing the first round judging? Did the second round entries get pulled?

Where do you need help?
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

4 of the last 5 first round flights were judged on Sunday March 16. The remaining flight was taken by the Knights of the Brown Bottle to judge this week. All flights for the second round have been pulled, and are ready for March 27 and 28. Please show up and help steward and judge in the second round. A new topic has been created for that.