Texas Homebrew Laws

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

big tex

Texas Homebrew Laws

Post by big tex »

I had some time on my hands and decided to review Texas laws as it relates to homebrewing (I know... I need a life!) and it struck me a little strange the way Texas classifies Beer. It classifies beer as a malt beverage containing not more than 4% ABW. Any malt beverage in excess of 4% ABW is considered an Ale or Malt Liquor.

Is it just me or are these definitions out of wack?

Cheers,
Gary
Haney

Post by Haney »

They were not allowing stores to put some imports on the shelves a couple of years back because of that law. They wanted some Belgian beers and other imports/craft beers to be relabeled as "malt liquor".
Duvel Malt Liquor(!?!!) right up there next to Mickey's malt liquor.......

They finally came to their senses with the intervention of homebrewers and the AHA. I seem to remember Bex Blackwood and Dave Dixon, former and current AHA board members from Texas, leading the fight here in Texas.
Whitis02

Post by Whitis02 »

Is that why you see 'ALE' printed on the side of some beers that you know are lagers? The example I can think of right away is Saint Arnold's Spring Bock and some of the Sam Adams products.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Yes. They have different names for different alcohol levels. When in Texas, enjoy a hearty Optimator ale!
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

If I am not mistaken, Optimator actually has Malt Liquor printed on the label. I hope all of you are drinking it from the bottle still in the paper bag.