New to competition

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Techsan

New to competition

Post by Techsan »

Howdy fellas,

Just dropped off my dues check last week at HHQ and wanted to say howdy. I started brewing back in 1992, but its been on and off again until this year. Ive been doing AG since i started back am really enjoying it. Anyways, I figured the best way to get some good feedback on the stuff im making is to enter it into some competitions, but i had a question.

Do we get the score sheets and tasting notes back from the judges?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting yall.

Christian
curryman

Post by curryman »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Techsan</i>
<br />
Do we get the score sheets and tasting notes back from the judges?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm still waiting for mine from the extract only (april or may). so I don't know.

curryman
mathboy

Post by mathboy »

Almost always, you will get score sheets back with judges comments. Occasionally, papers get lost, and even beers get lost (this happened to me twice in BlueBonnet). But that's to be expected.

The main reason people enter competitions is to get feedback. I'm in Philly now, and detailed evaluation of beer seems to be a super major focus of judges out there. I judged regional-aha with "Grand Master 'xxx'" judges, and these guys make it their point to write paragraphs for feedback.

In short, yes, you should get scoresheets back. But don't crucify organizer's for screwing up...we are all volunteers, after all. However, if you're looking for instantaneous, honest feedback, bring your beer to a brewday and/or meeting (if the latter is allowed). That's the best you can get. Oh, and the staff at HHQ is *more* than willing to sample your beer and give an opinion....

Bruce
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

Hello All,

Not to worry the score sheets are safe and secure. I bring them to the club only meetings and pass them out. I will be happy to bring them also to the brew days so if you can make it I should be able to supply them. Hope to see you then [:D]

John