Bluebonnet Brew-off

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

JamesD

Bluebonnet Brew-off

Post by JamesD »

Just to remind everyone, the last planning meeting before all heck breaks loose (login, judging, and the event) will be this Sunday (January 21st) at Big Buck's over in Grapevine. The meeting typically starts around 1:00 in the downstairs area, but most of us meet before the meeting in the upstairs bar for a beer at about 12:30. Basicaly we will be tying up loose ends as best we can as well as making sure there are enough volunteers spread out to make the event run smoothly. Everyone is welcome to attend so show up if you can.

James Dorman
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Here's a little info just in case you haven't checked out the Bluebonnet website at http://www.bluebonnetbrewoff.com

February 12-23, 2007 - Accepting Entries - Cost $7 per Entry
February 24, 2007 - Login at Hog Heaven Ranch (Richard Dobson's house in Gainesville).
March 3 & 4, 2007 - First Round Judging @ Coors in Ft. Worth
March 10 & 11, 2007 - First Round Judging @ Coors in Ft. Worth
March 23 & 24, 2007 - Bluebonnet Brewoff

This years event will be held at the Clarion DFW South, located at 4440 West Airport Fwy, in Irving TX. Our room rate for the event is $69.00 per night, for reservations call (972) 399-1010 and ask for the Bluebonnet Brewoff rate (Event Number 100926).

We are pleased to announce our keynote speaker for the 2007 Bluebonnet will be Grant Wood of the Boston Beer Company. Grant is currently a Brewing Manager for the Boston Beer Company in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. As Brewing Manager, Grant is a senior member of the brewing staff and is responsible for managing production of the Samuel Adams beers at Boston Beer Company?s contract facilities. During Grant?s career with BBC, he has been involved in such diverse activities as malting barley and hops selection, product development of the HardCore Cider and Twisted Tea products, and creation of Spring Ale, White Ale, Vienna lager, Weiss bier, Pale Ale, Boston IPA, Holiday Porter, and his favorite Black Lager. He was also team leader of the ?High Alcohol Brewing Projects? which produced the World Record holding Millennium and Utopias beers.

The 2007 Bluebonnet Brewoff will again have our famous Pub Crawl with participants driven by bus to pubs of the route directors choice. We expect everyone will have a great time and enjoy the Pub Crawl outing.

Our annual Room Crawl will again show the excitement each club can bring with their own style of room decoration and bar / pub design.

I look forward to meeting each of you, and hope everyone has a great time at the 2007 Bluebonnet Brew-off.

Jim Grady
Bluebonnet Brew-off Director 2007
Knights of the Brown Bottle
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

So...how many beers does everyone plan on entering this year? I'll have 4.
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I have 3 that are going in.
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

I have two that I will be entering.

John
Knance

Post by Knance »

In the hopes of getting good feedback I am going to enter one or two batches.
Fred David

Post by Fred David »

I'll have eight. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Just in case people are thinking about going out to the Log-in in Gainesville, just e-mail me and I will send you directions. I have them on an email and here is the text of the e-mail. Can't seem to get the picture to load on this page though. Just to give simple info, Exit 501 is the exit for the outlet mall up in Gainesville. It is on a private road so no real good way to search for it by address on map search engines, you just have to find the outlet mall and follw the direction from there. If you are driving there and get lost feel free to call me on my cell at 903-450-5554. Cell reception was low out there last year, but we were able to get calls.

Exit 501 off I35....head east 1.4 miles to T intersection.....turn left and follow road 1.6 miles more....at that point you will be looking straight North up my lane (mail boxes on your left and parallel lanes heading north - mine is the right one with the dead end sign)....house is up lane another mile. My private lane actually shows on maps trailing north to nowhere.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Just a last-minute reminder for anyone who has procrastinated (as I certainly have). Bluebonnet entries are due <b><font color="red">TODAY</font id="red"></b>. Drop them off at Homebrew HQ by closing time today. If you forgot and can't get them in tonight, I think your last recourse is to deliver them to the check-in in Gainesville yourself (see James Dorman's post above for information).
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Reminder-

Bluebonnet first round judging kicks off this Saturday, March 3rd at 9:00 a.m. at Coors Distributing in Ft. Worth. There is no Dallas judging location this year. Judging will also take place this Sunday and next weekend at the same location.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

If you can spare even just a few hours, your help is needed for Bluebonnet 1st round judging. There are approximately 120 flights of beer that need to be judged before the Bluebonnet.

Judging is at the Coors distributer at 35W and Mecheam Blvd in Ft Worth. They will start at 9:30 and run through 5:00 Sunday 3/4 and again next Saturday 3/10 and Sunday 3/11 if needed. There was a decent turnout today, but I would have liked to see better representation from the NTHBA members.

Remember, we are responsible for the show next year and helping out this year will make getting help from the other clubs easier.