New Members/Brewers

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

sirjohn

New Members/Brewers

Post by sirjohn »

Hello,

I wanted to create a new subject area for new members and brewers. I'm new to the site and should be a new member of NTHBA at the party (If I can join then).

I've only been brewing for 2 months and have the Home Brew HQ in Richardson to thank for turning me on to brewing. I'm still brewing in small batches (Mr. Beer kit) but planning to upgrade already to the full brewing kit.

I'm hoping to meet and talk with most of the members at the party and seek advice about making the best brew. Talk to you then,

John M.
Captain Kangabrew

Post by Captain Kangabrew »

Welcome John! I am relatively new to the club as well, joined at the spring party back in April.

If you like what you've made so far from the Mr. Beer Kit, it might be a good idea to upgrade to a full kit from Homebrew HQ. I'd recommend a 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy for your primary fermenter. 1) so you can see what's going on during fermentation without opening the lid on your bucket and possibly contaminating your beer and 2) because plastic buckets can get scratched and harbor bacteria, again possibly infecting your beer. I never secondary my ales, but if you want to do the extra work get a 5 gallon glass carboy for your secondary fermenter. And definitely get an Auto Syphon.

A couple other tips for new brewers: 1) Use liquid yeast and preferably make yeast starters to increase your cell count. This will dramatically improve your beer. Aeration of your wort prior to pitching yeast is also very important. 2) Get a propane cooker and a 7+ gallon (28 qt+) pot and do full-wort boils. This is something you could wait on until you get more established in the hobby. With Thanksgiving only a few months away, these will go on sale at places like Sam's Club and Academy. I bought two propane cookers at Academy last fall for $20 each. Aluminum and enamel coated pots are cheap there as well, although stainless steel is the best choice, but it's expensive.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Good for you, this is a fun hobby and can keep you off the streets but maybe not out of trouble. If you attend the club party, I can pretty much promise you that you will fall in with a bad crowd (but entertaining). You can of course join the club at the party but you can also join at Homebrew Headquarters and get your 10% discount on the spot. We will send you the membership card through the mail.

In terms of new equipment, Kelly will always get you going in the right direction. The Mr. Beer kit is ok I guess but you will probably want to brew in larger volumes in the future. The whole idea is to make sure that production keeps pace with consumption which is a daunting challenge at times. You might want to try and attend one of our club brewdays. Some of our members are way over the top in terms of brewing systems and it will help you to decide what you might want to do equipment wise.

Anyway, bring some your your bottles to the party this weekend. We have some folks that are very good at this and they can taste your efforts and offer good suggestions as to how and make it even better. Also, we will bring some of our swill and besides getting copious amounts of free beer, who knows, you might become inspired.
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

Sounds great, and thanks for all the advice Bill & Capt.

I'm hoping to build by brewing setup over the next month and get things ready to brew. I hope to get with some folks here to watch a brew batch or two before then so I don't make to many mistakes.

See you then,

John