Limbo 2014

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

BigWally

Limbo 2014

Post by BigWally »

We held the first planning meeting for this years Limbo Challenge. Dates for the competition were settled on months ago, but this was the first time we sat down and decided who would do what. Below are dates and committee assignments.

Attendees: Walter Hodges, Mike Grover, Kim Rhea, Jimmy Orkin, Brian Beyer, Melinda Beyer, Tim McGrath

Entries Accepted: 7/18-8/1
Check-in: 8/2
Judging: 8/9 and 8/10 if needed
Awards: 8/23

Committee Assignments:
Directors: Walter Hodges and Mike Grover
Head Judge: Melinda Beyer
Head Steward: Kim Rhea
Data: Jimmy Orkin

Discussions:

This year we are splitting German Wheat from Belgian Ales and Sours. German Wheat and Belgian Wit will be in a category together and the others will be in their own category.

Our primary shipping location will be Dallas Homebrew (aka The Wine Makers Toy Store). Entries may also be dropped off at Homebrew Headquarters or Texas Brewing.

We will be doing mini-BOS for second round. First round will continue to get the full score sheet.

TABC has been contacted with the help of Steve Wesstrom. We are registered with the TABC and will need to provide a bill of lading.

Check-in and judging will take place at the Beyer's residence.

Other assignments made at the meeting:
Update limbocomp.org with new dates and categories: Walter
Awards: Mike will contact J Paul
Lawn Mower Award: Brian
Schedule Awards Location: Tim
Register with BJCP: Walter
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
mtodd

Re: Limbo 2014

Post by mtodd »

Do you guys have a webpage up with all of the details yet? I want to rally the CIA troops and get a bunch of entries sent up your way for this.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

mtodd wrote:Do you guys have a webpage up with all of the details yet? I want to rally the CIA troops and get a bunch of entries sent up your way for this.
The http://limbocomp.org web site has been updated with dates and styles for 2014. Entry opens on July 18th. Good luck!
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

Thanks! I am trying to rally my guys down here to send some beers in to support the Limbo Challenge. I know I will be sending a couple of beers myself....hopefully I can get some of my other club members to do so as well.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

The next Limbo planning session will be held in conjunction with the June officer's meeting on June 3rd at the Bavarian Grill in Plano. The officer's meeting will run from 6:30 to 7:00 then we'll start the Limbo shortly afterwards.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

We held our second planning meeting in conjunction with the June officer's meeting.

Attendees: Walter Hodges, Mike Grover, Brian Beyer, James Smith, Don Trotter, Jimmy Orkin, Tim McGrath

This meeting was primarily used to follow-up on any action items from the first meeting. Below are the updates.

The Limbo web site has been updated with registration and competition dates. Walter is still working on adding Bill of Lading (BOL) as required by the TABC.
We have registered the event with the TABC.
The event has been registered with the AHA and Walter has received documentation from the AHA for the competition.
Tim has confirmed that we can have the awards ceremony at the Craft and Growler.
Mike is working with J Paul for the awards.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

We held our third planning meeting for the Limbo Challenge on Tuesday, July 1st at the Addison Ice House.

Attendees: Walter Hodges, Mike Grover, James Smith, Brian Beyer, Melinda Beyer, Tim McGrath, Jimmy Orkin

Discussion Topics:
Website: Walter will have the web site ready for testing by 7/5. Changes include adding drop off locations to the entry form, dding a bill of lading form, capturing drop off location information by entry, changing the wording on the fee to comply with TABC regulations and splitting German Wheat and Wit from Belgian Pale, Saison, Berliner and Lambic.

Awards: Brian and Melinda will go by Ace Mart to pick up shaker glasses to be used by J. Paul for awards. Work continues on the Lawnmower awards.

Entry Cap: We discussed limiting the total number of entries and/or total entries by a brewer. It was decided to leave the competition open.

Limbo 2015: We may need to consider using a more robust entry system for 2015. BCEO&M is free and used by several in state competitions. We'll need to work on evaluating it after this year's competition is over.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Don't forget!

Limbo Challenge entries need to be registered and dropped off by this Friday, August 1st. If you are helping with login on Saturday then you can bring your entries to the Beyers' house but please have them there by 10:00 a.m. Note that if you bring them to login you will still need to register them by Friday afternoon.

Cheers,
Mike
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
Mike Grover

Limbo Judging

Post by Mike Grover »

All Limbo Challenge entries were logged in this past Saturday. Judging starts on Saturday, August 9th at 9:00 a.m. at Brian and Melinda Beyer's house (see front page for details). We have a good shot to knock all of the judging out on Saturday if we have a strong showing. Please plan on coming out and judging at least one flight if you can, or stay all day and enjoy some tasty session beers.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Congrat's to all of our Limbo Challenge 2014 winners! Results are now posted on the Limbo Challenge website.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

We need a follow up meeting to see if we want to change any of the categories or make any other changes.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Thanks to all who helped pull off another successful Limbo. These are the notes from our follow up meeting on 9/13/14.

Attendees: Walter Hodges, Mike Grover, Brian Beyer, Kim Reah, Melinda Beyer, Tim McGrath, Bill James, Leroy Gharis, Jimmy Orkin (arrived late)

The following styles will be added in 2015:
Munich Dunkel (BJCP 4-B)
New Category - Historic Session Beers, which will include styles such as Gose and Gratzer

We will continue to use the 2008 BJCP guidelines in 2015. The new BJCP guidelines may not be ready by the time we announce the competition. If the new style guidelines are published in 2015, then the 2016 Limbo will use the new guidelines.

The 2015 committee should review category 6. There were over 35 entries in this one category.

We will continue to use the current registration web site. We felt there was no need to add the complexity of BCOM.

The "[email protected]" will be directed to "[email protected]" in addition to the current year's director. If the director and president are the same person, then the club treasurer will receive copies of emails.

Shipment of awards other than medals should be done through UPS since they are cheaper than USPS in most cases.