Propane Pilot light

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

jmarr

Propane Pilot light

Post by jmarr »

I have a self design and built HERMS system. as part of the system I have a digital controller together with a furnace type gas controller to manage the temp of water in my HLT. In other words the digital controller act like a thermosat and compares the water temp to my target and if low tells the gas controller to send propane to the burner heating the HLT. I have a pilot light wired and plumbed into this arrangement. My issue is this sometime it shuts off for no apparent reason. It happens most often as the target temp is achieved and the main burner shuts off the pilot goes out too. Not every time just often. It does not seem to happen due to wind (happens with zero wind) and regardless if the propane tank is full or low. Does anyone have any ideas of other things to look at? I plan to put a new thermo-couple on, but usually when they go bad you cant light the pilot at all. I hate to have furnance guy make a service call to fix my brew system. It just wouldn't look right. Ideas of other things to consider????
BigWally

Re: Propane Pilot light

Post by BigWally »

I wonder if your are getting a gas surge when the main flame goes out, causing the pilot to blow itself out. Did you make the pilot tube yourself? I know the Jimmy has built pilots for his system, but he uses an electric valve to control the main flame, not a water heater controller. Also, the controller you are using is rated for propane right? I also assume that you have a low pressure regulator on the controller too.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
jmarr

Post by jmarr »

Your theory is possible. The tube is manufactured for the controller and jetted for propane. It is a furnace controller. i am using a low pressure regulator. I will need to watch in during some tests to see if the phemonma (sp) is visible and predictable. thanks
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

My pilots are propane torch heads. I removed the pressure reducer from inside the torch heads.

I have to turn my 20 lb regulator to 20 lbs to get enough pressure to get a good flame. I do get a pretty blue cone torch flame.

I do not have any issue with the pilots going out while opening or closing the valves to my burners.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022