Bochet (carmelized) mead

Use this forum to request recipes from other club members. Also post your favorite or award winning recipes here.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

MixnMatchBrew

Bochet (carmelized) mead

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

The official recipe from 2008 Nov/Dec Zymurgy page 46. Article starts on page 45 - "Mead: Party Like its 1949"

18.5 lb light honey
4.0 g yeast extract or yeast nutrient
0.1 g zinc fortified yeast as nutrient
3 Tablespoon yeast (40g) dried champagne or mead yeast (Prise de Mousse recommended)

Target original gravity 1.130 - 1.138
Approx Final Gravity 1.028-1.038
Alcohol 14 to 15% by volume

Add honey to pot. Do not add water. Gently boil the honey until dark and tastes caramelized.

Add 1 gallon of water, zinc fortified yeast and blend into the "scorched honey" Stir until dissolved well.

Blend hot honey and water mixture to 2 gallons of cold water and add to your primary.

Top up to 5 gallons total volume. Aerate extremely well and add dissolved yeast nutrient (yeast extract)

When temp is below 80 F add re hydrated yeast. Ferment between 70-75 F

It may take 3 weeks to 3 months to finish primary.

Rack and transfer to secondary. Store at cooler temperatures Rack off sediment after six months to a year. Bottle when clear and all fermentation ceased. Cork in wine bottles for long term aging.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
mtodd

Re: Bochet (carmelized) mead

Post by mtodd »

I just brewed a bochet a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say it tasted excellent in the gravity sample. I ended up using 24 lbs of honey and increased the total batch size to almost 7 gallons.
peccavi

Re: Bochet (carmelized) mead

Post by peccavi »

What would be the best indicator that it is done in primary? 3 weeks to 3 months is a pretty big window...