Giving away homebrew

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

czechbrewer

Giving away homebrew

Post by czechbrewer »

We are opening a café in the North Dallas area. I have several homebrew friends and I would like to give away free flights of our homebrew to some of our customers. Before I go to the city and ask questions about doing this, I was wondering if there are any state laws that discuss doing this? There will be no "exchange of goods" or anything like this. We would simply ask customers if they would like to try some local homebrews.. for free. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
BigWally

Re: Giving away homebrew

Post by BigWally »

I've known of restaurants that have given away beer to diners while the business waits for their TABC license to be approved. I would definitely try contacting the state regarding your plans, especially if you are ever planning on applying for a liquor license.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
czechbrewer

Post by czechbrewer »

Thanks BigWally. I don't think we ever plan on getting a liquor license... this is really more of a way to get folks in the door, and to support our local homebrewers. I'll definitely be running this through our local and state channels, but I think my biggest issue will be that the beer itself won't typically be brewed in a monitored/audited facility.... who REALLY knows what the brewers could be putting in their beer?

Thanks again!
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

It sounds like you could do BYOB. Let us know when you are open and maybe we could hold an officer's meeting there.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.