Newbie fermenting issue

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

hilld3

Newbie fermenting issue

Post by hilld3 »

Hey Folks,

I'm on my 6th batch and I've consistently had foam spray from my airlock (on a 5 gallon carboy) within the first day of fermentation. Is this normal? Should I have a bigger air lock or should I be using something else for my primary?

Daniel
Juicer82

Re: Newbie fermenting issue

Post by Juicer82 »

Yes, very active fermentation within two days is normal. You need a a larger carboy (6.5 gallon is what I use) for a five gallon batch so all that foam has somewhere to go. You could also use a blow off hose instead of an air lock for a few days, you will lose a lot of beer out the top that way. I would either do four gallon batches or switch to a bigger fermenter. I hope this helps!
hilld3

Post by hilld3 »

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I think I'll invest in the larger carboy. Thanks!
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

If you really want to see foam and a massive blowout try using some heffe yeast (I recommend WLP300). That stuff is such a violent fermenter that it will blow out the top of a 6.5 gallon carboy and I swear I have seen a mushroom cloud form. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer