Batch gone bad

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Juicer82

Batch gone bad

Post by Juicer82 »

I have a northern english brown in a keg right now, and it tasted wonderful for a couple of weeks. I didn't touch it for about a week since I had a cold, but when I started drinking it again, I noticed that it tasted pretty bad. The bitterness remains, but the malt backbone, carmel and sweetness are gone and are replaced with a metallic/astringent/sour taste. Any thoughts as to what the heck happened?
Bill Lawrence

Re: Batch gone bad

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Unfortunately, it sounds like the batch is infected. Many times when you run into that problem, it takes awhile to manifest itself but the bugs that are causing the problem are capabile of "eating" sugars that beer yeast can't touch. Generally, the beer will get really thin and many times extremely carbonated (depending on which bug is causing the problem). Make sure you clean out all you racking lines and any other rubber or plastic parts that come in contact with cooled wort. I can't tell by your post but if the beer was kegged you might consider replacing the gaskets on the keg as well. Oh and by the way, don't ever let your beer come in contact with any of Barrett's stuff, that lad is constantly growing all kinds of wierd microbes. Don't feel bad though, there are basicly two kinds of brewers; those that have had a batch get infected (that would be me by the way) and those brewers that just haven't gotten unlucky yet. Now that you have some experience with "wild bugs", you might consider messing around with sours, Oud Bruin anyone? :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
TheMacheteMasher

Post by TheMacheteMasher »

I had the same thing happen to me only it was slightly intentional (racked into a sour corny keg). The beer was a second runnings porter from a brewday with Brian at Wine Makers Toy Store/Dallas Home Brew. I had not replaced the popets and o-ring for the keg. The accident went diacetyl first then thin and lactic. I dumped the keg months later. The roasted malts gave it an off putting sharpness.

Juicer82 if you are not prepared to embrace sours (second round of hoses & separate equipment) soak everything in sanitizer and replace the plastics. Recover with grace and return to clean beers. I have embraced wild beers, sours, and anything strange. I do keep things isolated but infections happen.

Bill, I will take two bottles of Oud Burin. One for me the other for the cellar.

Slicing up the mash -since 2011
Juicer82

Post by Juicer82 »

Wow, what quick responses! I have backup keg parts (O ring and other rubber thingies), and replacing tubing is no biggie. What about my plastic racking cane and auto syphon? Should I replace those too?
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

That's interesting, the last time I had an issue an autosyphon was involved. I got pissed off and threw the damn thing out (of course I have no idea if that was really what caused the issue but I can be superstitious). I employ the old "suck on the end of the tube" to syphon, I suppose it works ok. I would just soak the plastic racking cane in some household bleach solution (yeah I know, bleach is old fashioned but I have been doing this for a long time and I'm old, what can I say?). Also, take a look at your procedures in general, you may find you are doing something without thinking that is causing the problem (like grinding grain near your brewing operation for instance).
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer