To save the post office, send beer

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

JamesD

To save the post office, send beer

Post by JamesD »

Just saw this...thought others might be interested. Link and text below.

James D

http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/a ... 21c6e68159

In addition to opening the door to ending Saturday mail delivery in two years, the latest proposal to save the post office includes a provision that would let the U.S. Postal Service begin shipping alcohol across the country.

The ban on shipping beer and wine via the U.S. mail dates back to 1909, 10 years before Prohibition.

The law grew from statutes that prohibited the Postal Service from shipping "poisons, explosives, harmful items, and 'all spirituous, vinous, malted, fermented, or other intoxicating liquors of any kind,'" Josh Sanburn wrote at Time, citing Section 217 of 18 U.S.C. 1716(f) of the Act of March 4, 1909, ch. 321, 35 Stat. 1131.

Private carriers have been shipping beer and wine for years, but the Postal Service hasn't been able to get in on that action thanks to the federal law. Note: Individuals are not legally allowed to ship alcohol to one another via either UPS or FedEx (so no sending one of your favorite wines to Mom for Mother's Day). Those who are licensed to ship wine can apply to either carrier to send it to individuals or businesses, but beer can be sent only between licensed companies, not to individuals -- and shipment of all alcohol is subject to state laws, which vary widely.

Getting into the alcohol shipping business could prove lucrative for the post office, once it's able to establish procedures to ensure that alcohol is not shipped to anyone younger than 21 (requiring a signature for delivery, for example) or to any of the states that prohibit alcohol shipments from out-of-state retailers.

"With the onslaught of e-commerce, as long as (beer and wine) ship legally in terms of states that we're allowed to ship, I think you're going to see it take off," Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe told Time.
According to Time:

Donahoe says he doesn't believe that getting a federal agency like the post office involved in shipping alcohol across state lines is in any way disreputable. In fact, he already has some shipping ideas if it passes: 2-, 4- and 6-bottle wine boxes for one flat rate that would ship anywhere in the country.

The bill including the beer and wine provision passed the Senate last week.

The issue now moves to the House, which is considering its own bill, and Donahoe has given Congress a May 15 deadline before he says the U.S. Postal Service will pursue its own plan, which includes closing some postal service facilities and possibly hundreds of rural post offices.
Bill Lawrence

Re: To save the post office, send beer

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well that's very interesting however I respectfully decline. Over the years, we have had enough problems with UPS and FedEx, I shudder to think what the post office would do to competitions shipments. On the other hand, if they came up with handy 6 pack shipping boxes that actually held the entries secure, I would be willing to revisit my opinion of the situation.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Actually, I have seen tests of of all three. Folks have built special measuring boxes the measure G forces on the box during shipping. USPS is gentler on packages than the other two.

I also think it is interesting where the article says it is not legal for individuals to send to each other.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Thors Brother

Post by Thors Brother »

jimmyorkin wrote: I also think it is interesting where the article says it is not legal for individuals to send to each other.

It's true. If yoiu read the law closely, it is only legal in your home.