Costa Rica Beer-- Retirement Brewery Opportunity

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

jmarr

Costa Rica Beer-- Retirement Brewery Opportunity

Post by jmarr »

I just returned from CR. While I was there I had an opportunity to sample the local beers. Here are my findings.
1. All the commercial beers are brewed at a single factory in San Jose. Imperial. they produce 4 local brands.
2. The above 4 brands are relatively expensive. $3.00 to $4.00 in most places.
3. The above brands are all similar - weak, tasteless, and mass produced.
4. I also sampled the only two craft/micro breweries in CR. Volcano and Craft Brewing Co.
5. The Volcano and Craft were adequate and much tastier than any of the big brands, but neither was killer.
6. Volcano is on the Arenal Lake and has a nice location and hotel, but no bottling capability. So no take away.
7. Craft has bottling. So were able to take with us, but very expensive $24 a six pack. Yes- that is right. We were desperate.
8. There is no local source for ingredients. So cost is expensive due to shipping and limited availability.
9. The best locations for a micro would be near St Elena.Big college area due to zip lines and canopy tours and MTB. Or near the surf areas on Pacific side. We were at Mal Pais. Very laid back but not as much traffic.

CR would make a great place for some one to retire and open a brew pub. Low quality beer and high prices. Cheap labor.
groovyslick

Re: Costa Rica Beer-- Retirement Brewery Opportunity

Post by groovyslick »

let me know when you are ready to fund that project and I will go with you ;)