Plate Chiller

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

rack04

Plate Chiller

Post by rack04 »

Does anyone here use a plate chiller? I'm looking for some feedback on how well they work compared to a 50' copper immersion chiller and what type (if any) pre-filter is used to ensure that pellet hops do not clog the chiller. Thanks.
kingsbrew

Re: Plate Chiller

Post by kingsbrew »

I have been using a plate chiller for a year or so. I used to use it with only gravity. Now I use a pump. It works much better with a pump. The chiller doesn't get clogged with pellet hops. You do need to flush the chiller as soon as you finish using it. I love mine and have had no issues with contamination. Any clogs I get are at the valve on the kettle but not on the chiller.

Each time before I use it I run boiling water through it to clean and sanitize. Then I let it sit in a bucket of sanitizer until I am ready for it. I set mine up with quick disconnects so when I get done I can easily connect it up to my garden to hose to flush and back flush two or three times.
Leroy
JGraham

Post by JGraham »

I have also been using a plate chiller for about a year and though I haven’t had any issues with contamination so far (knock on wood), I have had some clogging in the plate chiller itself. I now try to prevent clogging by using hop socks in the boil (even with pellet hops) and a kettle screen in the boil kettle. Basically, I want the liquid going through the plate chiller to be as clog-free or clear as I can make it.

Leroy is definitely right -- backflushing is very important. I usually backflush the plate chiller with hot water and OxyClean or hot water and PBW and then flush and backflush with a garden hose.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Leroy also has a hop screening thing that allows him to remove much of the hop matter. Perhaps he will post a picture of his creation.

That would help keep particulates out of the chiller.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022