Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

aperkin

Post by aperkin »

My name is Andy Perkins. I live in Carrollton in the neighboorhood NW of Kelly and Keller Springs. Just getting into home brewing. Purchase my equipment from Homebrew HQ and just got my first batch in the bottles last Sun. Hopefully, I have not screwed up. I've named my home brewery, Murphelin Brewery after our cat Murphy. He is such a laid-back, happy cat that he must be on some type of drug, which my son-in-law dubbed Murphelin. I believe that drinking a good craft brew should give us that same laid-back, happy feeling, hence the name Murphelin Brewery.

I joined NTHBA when I purchased my equipment. I am hoping to attend brew day this weekend to meet and greet some fellow brewaholics and observe how brewing should be done. I'm just a neophyte brewer but I'm really excited and looking forward to leaning more. What happens on a brew day?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Bill Lawrence

Re: New member

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well, first of all, welcome to the fold. The brew day is over at the legendary Bill James' house. He has been brewing for quite some time so you will likely learn quite a bit from him. Basicly, you can bring your brewing stuff over to his place and brew also, or you can just show up, eat some lunch, kabitz and drink. As you are new, you might find it a good idea to bring some of your beer. There are a few guys who know what they are doing and they can give you pointers after sampling your efforts. If your stuff is not ready, it is generally politic to bring some commercial stuff to share. When folks start passing around the corked stuff in the Belgian 750's or bombers, be careful. Some of that stuff sent man to the moon so don't say you weren't warned. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
aperkin

Post by aperkin »

Well.. by Sat, my first batch will have another week to go before it's ready. I could bring over a sample bottle even if it is a little green still.. would the uber tasters be able to tell much about it yet? I made it strictly from a Muntons Nut Brown Ale hopped kit, so if it doesn't taste right that means something went wrong with my procedure which I would want to correct before starting my next batch. I'm afraid that my palate is not so refined... must have been all those years of drinking bad beer in my younger days. I'm planning to debut this beer at our annual Halloween party and would love to get some feedback.

I will be sure to bring some commercial stuff. I have a variety of beers that I picked up at Central Market's Brewtopia a couple weeks ago.
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

Welcome to the ever-growing Carrollton faction of NTHBA. We have a lot of active members in the area, and our Christmas party will be just down the road from you near the SW corner of Kelly & Keller Springs. I actually used to live just across Kelly from your area but moved a few miles north a couple of years ago. I'll be at the brewday Saturday until early afternoon and hope to bump into you.

Pros't!
Mike
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
aperkin

Post by aperkin »

Mike, looking forward to meeting you.
aperkin

Post by aperkin »

I had a great time at brew day meeting everyone, learning a few things and drinking some great beer.