Scottish Ale

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Dave Warner

Scottish Ale

Post by Dave Warner »

Has anyone extracted a hint of smokiness in a Scottish ale using yeast alone? If so, what yeast did you use and what ferment temp?

I don't have my notes handy, but I think I used Edinburgh yeast last time I made a 70/- and though it had a great flavor, Smokiness was not there. I think I fermented at 68.

I also used only MO and Crystal 60 for flavor and boiled the first runnings to carmelize. Could the 60 overpower the effect of the yeast?
Thors Brother

Re: Scottish Ale

Post by Thors Brother »

Too Cold... hold 70 - 72 degrees on the Edinburgh. The crystal will not over power the yeast. Crystal 60 is good. A little Munich will likely help.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Well lads, I'm certainly no expert but according to the "Great Jamil", you want to get the cleanest fermenation you can get when doing Scottish ale so he recommends using WLP01, the Chico ale yeast. Additionally, he admonishes folks not to add any smoked or peated malts to the grist and at least implies that the whole "smoke thing" in Scottish ale is a figment in many judges imaginations. Anyhow for the Limbo, I also made up a 70/ using the great one's guidance and I like the way it came out (this is the second time I have tried this recipe and I really liked it the first time also). Naturally, I may well get my ass handed to me on a silver platter so take all this for what it's worth. Incidentally, if you use the Edinburgh strain at over 70 degrees, you are almost for sure going to start throwing off yeast derived flavors so if you are a believer in Jamil's advice, I don't know that running that strain that warm is such a good idea.

One of these days, maybe when the heat subsides a bit, I would like to try and make a Wee Heavy doing a double mash so I can get the O.G. way up there (I just need to figure out the logistics of doing that with my set up). When the beer is that big, it's almost impossible to keep the yeast derived flavors down so I am not really sure what the best strain to use in that situation would be.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Well lads, I'm certainly no expert but according to the "Great Jamil", you want to get the cleanest fermenation you can get when doing Scottish ale so he recommends using WLP01, the Chico ale yeast. Additionally, he admonishes folks not to add any smoked or peated malts to the grist and at least implies that the whole "smoke thing" in Scottish ale is a figment in many judges imaginations. Anyhow for the Limbo, I also made up a 70/ using the great one's guidance and I like the way it came out (this is the second time I have tried this recipe and I really liked it the first time also). Naturally, I may well get my ass handed to me on a silver platter so take all this for what it's worth. Incidentally, if you use the Edinburgh strain at over 70 degrees, you are almost for sure going to start throwing off yeast derived flavors so if you are a believer in Jamil's advice, I don't know that running that strain that warm is such a good idea.

One of these days, maybe when the heat subsides a bit, I would like to try and make a Wee Heavy doing a double mash so I can get the O.G. way up there (I just need to figure out the logistics of doing that with my set up). When the beer is that big, it's almost impossible to keep the yeast derived flavors down so I am not really sure what the best strain to use in that situation would be.
I can second the 001 and the Brewing classic styles. I've been using a version of this for a few years and I like it quite a bit.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
groovyslick

Post by groovyslick »

I use wyeat 1728 for my 80.