using a keg shell

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RobDrechsler

using a keg shell

Post by RobDrechsler »

if you convert a keg shell into a brew kettle what type of cooker do you need? I have a turkey fryer type cooker would that but sufficient or do I need something with a wider flame?
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Brewboy

Re: using a keg shell

Post by Brewboy »

A turkey fryer will work just fine. You just need to make sure that the new pot will sit securly over the burner. I modified my burner stands simply by adding a wider base using 1" angle iron.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

great, just picked up a keg shell five minutes ago..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

You can also buy a round BBQ grill and use it on top of the burner.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

excellent suggestion Orlando..

does the keg shell have any sort of coated lining I would have to deal with?
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Only aluminum shells have a inner plastic coating. The stainless steel ones are good to go. Just drill, cut, install your fittings, clean it well with your favorite cleaner, and start making beer.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

ok, I was planning on using this as my main brew kettle, so picking this thing up and pouring my wort into my fermenter is probably not going to happen, so need to add a ball valve... so what other fittings should I consider?
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

RobDrechsler wrote:ok, I was planning on using this as my main brew kettle, so picking this thing up and pouring my wort into my fermenter is probably not going to happen, so need to add a ball valve... so what other fittings should I consider?
You can put a thermometer and a sight glass fitting in your kettle. Depending on how you brew they both could be useful.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

yes, the thermometer is almost a given, I've read pro's and con's of the sight tube... mostly having to clean it after boiling wort..
snake10

Post by snake10 »

Rob,
Let the pressure out of you keg, remove the stem, cut a hole in the top with a harbor freight grinder. Then drill some holes in it with a step drill bit-7/8 or 1inch (some good cutting oil), get some fittings from BArgainfittings.com and your in business. Do it 3 times and you will have a Burtus single tier like Brotherhood brew. Get busy!
Bart
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

Hi, Bart, thanks for the link... got it bookmarked..

Ok, how do you release the pressure, safely? last thing I want is century old beer shot into my eyes..

possibly I have a line on some more kegs.. but I will see if it pans out before I post anything..
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

To release the old beer and pressure:

Turn the keg on its side facing away from yourself and small children. Point at someone you don't like and depress the ball.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

ok, used the keggle last night... how is everyone marking their sight glass.. sharpie.. typically what makings are you settting?

2 gal, 5 gal, 6 gal, 6.5 gal ?
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Rob,

Sharpie on the tube will work. I keep thinking that painting a white stripe behind the guage and then pin striping the marks on it would be the slickest deal.

If you ever replace the tube, you will have to recalibrate the marks.

I mark mine every foot but your idea would work fine.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I would mark for every gallon at least. It will help you be more accurate so you can reproduce your results in the future.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery