Introduction, BJCP Question, and 4/30 Brewday Question

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

WoodBrew

Introduction, BJCP Question, and 4/30 Brewday Question

Post by WoodBrew »

I live in Richardson and I've been brewing for a couple of years but haven't gotten around to joining the club or attending any events. I've only entered one beer in a contest (2010 Bluebonnet). So, I've been brewing in a vacuum and I think I need to expand my horizons a bit in order to become a better brewer (though a six pack of research in my backyard is still important :wink: ).

So I have a couple of questions:
1. I want to take the BJCP exam. This will make me more educated about beer and from reading the forum here, there's a need for more judges. I see that there are a couple of exams scheduled in North TX this fall (http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php). Can anyone tell me what the cost of the exam is and if they have any particular information regarding either of the two scheduled exams (e.g., are they specifically for one homebrew club?). Also, what about any prep classes? I searched this forum and the only recent information I could find was from this thread: http://www.nthba.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... BJCP#p4117 Will there be more classes prior to the fall exam(s)? If not, does anyone know of any other classes in the area?

2. I want to join the club, but I think yall run on a May-May schedule, so I might wait to make it official. That said, I'm interested in attending the April 30 brew day. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect and when it will begin/end? I have to attend a meeting in Cedar Hill from 10-12 that morning, but could probably come afterward.

Thanks!
Brewboy

Re: Introduction, BJCP Question, and 4/30 Brewday Question

Post by Brewboy »

So I have a couple of questions:

1. I want to take the BJCP exam. This will make me more educated about beer and from reading the forum here, there's a need for more judges.
Yes, there's always a need for more ranked judges. You will need to study for this exam if you're going to take it. It's not an easy test by any stretch of the imagination. You are correct that you will be more educated about beer if you study for the exam adequately.
Can anyone tell me what the cost of the exam is and if they have any particular information regarding either of the two scheduled exams (e.g., are they specifically for one homebrew club?). Also, what about any prep classes? Will there be more classes prior to the fall exam(s)?
This from Chuck Homola: We will start the class on May 15th and meet at 2pm at my house - everything will be provided - no need to bring anything. The cost for the entire class is $100 or you can pay by the class for $10 each. Please make payment out to me. Checks or cash accepted. Any money left over from the purchase of the class beer will be used to throw an after-party the day of the exam in October. Leroy will also be taking $10 deposits for anyone interested in taking the exam in October.

My address is: 905 Glen Rose Drive, Allen TX 75013

If you are not interested in taking the class this year and would like to be dropped off of this email list - please let me know and I will no longer spam you. Here are the planned dates for this year's edition of the class:

Class #1 - May 15th
Class #2 - May 22nd
Class #3 - June 5th
Class #4 - June 19th
Class #5 - July 10th
Class #6 - July 24th
Class #7 - August 7th
Class #8 - August 21st
Class #9 - September 11th
Class #10 - September 25th
Class #11 - October 9th

Exam - October 15th

The fees for the BJCP exam are US $50 for first time takers.
2. I want to join the club, but I think yall run on a May-May schedule, so I might wait to make it official. That said, I'm interested in attending the April 30 brew day. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect and when it will begin/end? I have to attend a meeting in Cedar Hill from 10-12 that morning, but could probably come afterward.
We have club meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. The club membership year is May to May but you are welcome to join us at any time.

Brewdays are scheduled on the club calendar. The club has annual dues of $20 for membership. A brewday runs from approx 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Depending on the host, could be later into the evening. Anthony and Greta are very gracious hosts for this next brewday on the 30th and the very next weekend, Kelly is hosting a brewday on the 7th of May. That's National Homebrew Day and Kelly always hosts a great brewday. In my opinion the brewdays are some of the best social events we have. I always enjoy them.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

As far as what to expect at a brewday:

Bring some of your homebrew to share. Bring comercial beer to share if you don't have any homebrew.

Bring a chair.

Be friendly and social.

Ask any questions you may have.

Other members will be brewing with whatever their OTR (on the road) system is. Lunch is provided. Beer is shared and tasted throughout the day. Great beer education to be had.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Mike Grover

Post by Mike Grover »

We do run a May-May schedule for dues, but we will not charge you for 2010 dues at this point (unless our treasurer is in an unusually grouchy mood, in which case just give him a Fullers London Porter). Sign up now and you will be good through May 2012.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
WoodBrew

Post by WoodBrew »

Thanks for the replies! I'll try to make it on the 30th if I can get back to this side of the metroplex in time. I'll probably bring some commercial beer since all of my homebrew is either greener than grass or way old :oops: