Source for Fermwrap like Heater

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Source for Fermwrap like Heater

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Here is a source for a heating tape for reptiles. It is called Flexwatt Heat Tape. Looks like the minimum order is for 50 feet.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/11-flexwatt-heat-tape.html
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
RobDrechsler

Re: Source for Fermwrap like Heater

Post by RobDrechsler »

a waterbed heater would work as well
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

jimmyorkin wrote: It is called Flexwatt Heat Tape. Looks like the minimum order is for 50 feet.
http://www.reptilebasics.com/11-flexwatt-heat-tape.html
I just bought a Fermwrap. I paid over $40 for it. Seems you would make one for less than 1/2 of the cost.

BTW it appears that the Flexwatt Heat Tape is sold by the foot: "The Quantity entered is the number of feet desired."...
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
jlavin

Post by jlavin »

My FermWrap that I bought from Northern Brewer couldn't really hand too much of a temperature differencial. Not sure what the wattage on it is, but I'm thinking of trying out the one Jimmy found and see if it can handle the difference any better.
Jim Lavin
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Search for "Wrap-On Pipe Heating Cables - 3' 120v heat tape dark green w/thermosta". Do you think that will work?
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

My Morebeer fermwrap is 40 watts. The pipe wrap Don found is 48 watts. If Jim's is the same as mine, 8 watts is not much of a step up.

I think Jim may need to put a blanket around the carboy and fermwrap to maximize the fermwrap's ability to heat the beer.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
jlavin

Post by jlavin »

I'm thinking it is time to do a controlled test of the various Ferm Wraps and Brew Belts to see which works best.

My plan is to get a thermo well for a Carboy, fill it with water and then use each to see what it can do from a heating perspective. I'm thinking this is the only way I'll be able to tell which one works best for my enviornment.
Jim Lavin
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

jlavin wrote:I'm thinking it is time to do a controlled test of the various Ferm Wraps and Brew Belts to see which works best.
Have you tried insulating the fermwrap to the fermentor with a towel or something similar? Maybe that would allow the heat to better transfer into the fermentor and not be lost to the ambient air.

If the towel thing does not work, then I feel you need more heating power. The solutions you are considering "testing" all provide around 40-48 watts. I think you need to try a solution that would provide more that 48 watts of heat.

We know that the 11" flexwatt heat tape can provide 20 watts per foot. Which makes sense since the Fermwraps are 2-foot long providing 40 watts. What if you built a 3-foot long wrap, using the bulk 11" flexwatt heat tape and connectors. A 3-foot wrap would provide 60 watts. 60 Watts may provide you the heating performance you need. Heck, you could even make a more powerfull wrap if needed, just make it longer.

my 2-cents...
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I say to hell with all that, I'm just going to brew beer that can handle a little colder fermentation temperature. I'm going to brew an Alt this weekend and then move on to lagers and try to take advantage of Mother Nature a bit. I would however like to brew a couple of British beers but I'm really afraid the yeast will just drop out before the beer attenuates.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer