Schwartzbier questions

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

mtodd

Schwartzbier questions

Post by mtodd »

Without the ability to recirculate in order to step up the mash temps is it more trouble than its worth to try to do a multistep decoction for a Schwartzbier? I want to give this style a try but I don't have the ability to recirculate to raise the mash temp and I don't think I can just keep adding hot water to my mash tun as I would run out of room real quick and would definitely have problems with a thin mash. :) Does this style benefit greatly from a decoction or would it not suffer much to just do a single infusion mash?
BigWally

Re: Schwartzbier questions

Post by BigWally »

There is quite a bit of debate on the value of decoction over infusion mashing. There are a number of folks who will swear by the docoction and others that say it's just not worth the extra effort and time. There was an article in a recent Zymurgy or Brew Your Own, I don't remember which. They mention that even several of the big German breweries have stopped decoction mashing. Long story short, I would go with the infusion mash if that is what your system supports.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

I will have to look for that issue. I get both of those magazines but I have to admit I am a couple of months behind in my reading.

Thanks!

By the way....anyone coming down for the AHA rally at St. Arnolds? I believe it is Feb 19th but I will have to double check that date.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

One of the flavors you get from decoction can be acheived in an infusion mash by using some melanodin malt.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

The December 2010 Brew Your Own has the article on decoction.
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I really don't think a decoction is necessary for a schwarzbier. I brewed one primarily from extract (Pils and Munich) last year except for some carafa II special steeped at 150F for 30-45 minutes. It won a couple of awards.
Leroy
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I always decoct my German biers, I have done it so many times now that it really isn't that big a deal although it does make for a longer brew day. Since I have never done a side by side with and without tasting, I really don't know for sure if it makes that big a difference or not. It does however remind me of my German roots and love for the Fatherland plus I feel just a little more wholesome having gone to the trouble. I would swear on a stack of bibles though that it makes a really big difference when making traditonal weizenbier but then I am the same guy who loves boiling up a great big pot of grits when making CAP's so take that for what it's worth.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
JBL

Post by JBL »

My first all-grain brew was a triple decoction Oktoberfest, just like Noonan wrote it up. That beer turned out OK but it was a very long brew day and I never brewed another triple decoction anything. Plenty of singles and doubles, never another triple.

Just my preference but I'd use a single temp mash if the base malt was American 2-row and a multi-step if the base malt was German pils. Whichever route you choose, I'm sure an excellent beer can result but of course there are a lot of other variables involved besides the decoction vs. no decoction trade. IMHO, a good grain bill matched to an appropriate mash routine will make the decoction/no-decoction trade a non-issue.

Its been a long time since I looked at this board. I gotta say that both the questions and answers are high quality. Good brewers here.

Jim Layton
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Hey, Jim. Are you getting back into brewing?
JBL

Post by JBL »

BigWally wrote:Hey, Jim. Are you getting back into brewing?
Its been over a year since my last brew but I'm thinking I'll do another soon.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

JBL wrote:
BigWally wrote:Hey, Jim. Are you getting back into brewing?
Its been over a year since my last brew but I'm thinking I'll do another soon.
More than a year? Man, that's too long!
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

My blue ribbon winning Schwarzbiers - yes plural - were single infusion mashed. The base malt was dark Munich. The specialty malt was Carafa Spec 1. It used Pilsner malt also, about half as much as the Munich. No caramel malt was used. The mash temp is 152. The key is balance. Don't overdo the Carafa, and don't use chocolate, black patent, or roasted barley. Choose your yeast wisely.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?