Top 15 Places to Get a Beer in Dallas, TX

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Whitis02

Top 15 Places to Get a Beer in Dallas, TX

Post by Whitis02 »

I've put together a list of great places to grab a beer in Dallas and posted it on my blog, what do you all think? Leave a comment if you'd like, I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.theferm.org/2010/03/top-15-p ... as-tx.html
Give a man a beer and waste an hour. Teach a man to brew and waste a lifetime.
SirRon

Re: Top 15 Places to Get a Beer in Dallas, TX

Post by SirRon »

Solid list, but not as good as the Houston list 8)
http://www.theferm.org/2009/09/top-15-p ... on-tx.html

I wonder the general consensus of putting a chain in the #1 spot... or an Addison bar. That being said, I prefer the Saucer in Addison over the Downtown Houston location big time... never been to the Austin one.

I agree big time on parking being a factor on a place being great. If its a pain to access, however unfair, a bar loses points in my book.

You seemed to give food a big weight in your rankings. Is this true or did it just come up in the descriptions a lot as you were promoting a particular place? What's the balance point between more quality taps or better food in a bar's cool factor?
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Food is obviously not that important as the Saucer in Addison probably has the worst food except for the Gingerman. It's edible, just nothing to brag about.
Leroy
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

NTHBA brew day / parties not listed, I'm disappointed..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
SirRon

Post by SirRon »

Top Places to Get a Beer in Dallas, TX (that aren't my refrigerator)

...the parenthetical part, of course, is assumed.
Whitis02

Post by Whitis02 »

Food wasn't a part of the rating system, it was merely a bonus added on to the establishment at somewhere worth mentioning. The Stilton Burger at Black Friar still haunts my mind.

And my appologies for the list, I only assumed bars in the list and didn't take into consideration any club parties or brew days. They are however, REALLY great places to grab a beer.

And the food at the Sauce isn't that bad, c'mon. The Kick Ass Chicken, well, it pretty kick ass. Have you tried the Brat and Queso? It's a good. And the pretzels are quite strong.
Give a man a beer and waste an hour. Teach a man to brew and waste a lifetime.
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

Well, if it were the top 15 places to get a beer in Dallas, I guess it's not a bad list. But since there are places listed outside of Dallas proper (Biersch in Plano), I'm not so sure. Some of those places (Milo Butterfinger's,etc.) while having some great atmosphere don't really have great beer selections. I guess I am wondering on the criteria, is all.

Maybe I am not sure there are 15 good places to get beer in Dallas. Maybe that's it :).
Cameron Mathews
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Take a look at Taplister.com. Dallas/Ft. Worth is included in their database now. This is a realtime listing of beers available at local watering holes. Updates are made via Taplister.com or Twitter by us drinkers.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

here's a new one to try Eno's pizza, Bishop's Art district.. pizza for anorexics, ie. very thin crust.. lots of good beers on tap

http://www.enospizza.com/docs/DrinksMenu.pdf

oh, they had mothership wit on tap, what a difference from the bottle..
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

SirRon wrote:Solid list, but not as good as the Houston list 8)
http://www.theferm.org/2009/09/top-15-p ... on-tx.html

I wonder the general consensus of putting a chain in the #1 spot... or an Addison bar. That being said, I prefer the Saucer in Addison over the Downtown Houston location big time... never been to the Austin one.

I agree big time on parking being a factor on a place being great. If its a pain to access, however unfair, a bar loses points in my book.

You seemed to give food a big weight in your rankings. Is this true or did it just come up in the descriptions a lot as you were promoting a particular place? What's the balance point between more quality taps or better food in a bar's cool factor?
If parking is that big of a factor then how in the hell did Petrol Station make the top 3? I have to admit the parking there is almost non-existant but the place is wonderful. My co-workers and I just discovered this little gem a few months ago and we go there at least once a week now after work. Now that they have expanded their cooler space and increased their tap selection to around 30 or so its even better.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Another good place is Holy Grail in plano. Great beer, and great food, actually tonight they were tapping a keg of DFH's Burton Baton.
SirRon

Post by SirRon »

If parking is that big of a factor then how in the hell did Petrol Station make the top 3? I have to admit the parking there is almost non-existant but the place is wonderful. My co-workers and I just discovered this little gem a few months ago and we go there at least once a week now after work. Now that they have expanded their cooler space and increased their tap selection to around 30 or so its even better
I don't think bad parking applies to Petrol. When can you ever not park within about 100ft of the building?
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

On a typical night...no....parking is not that big of a deal. But try to go there anytime they are holding a special event like yesterday for example and you have to walk at least a block. Not a big deal when you arrive but certainly can be a problem if you have one too many Ten Fidys. :P
SirRon

Post by SirRon »

mtodd wrote:On a typical night...no....parking is not that big of a deal. But try to go there anytime they are holding a special event like yesterday for example and you have to walk at least a block. Not a big deal when you arrive but certainly can be a problem if you have one too many Ten Fidys. :P
I hear you. I guess I only hate having to valet or parking downtown (which involves the stress of finding a place) to get a beer. Parking down the street in a neighborhood doesn't qualify as a parking problem for me.

I'm definitely the wrong person to point this out, but if you've had too many, *getting* to your car is probably the least of your worries. Just saying.
mtodd

Post by mtodd »

Oh definitely the parking problems there are nothing like at downtown locations or places where you have to factor in $10 to park your car while you go in for a few pints. I only assumed in your post where you said parking problems count against a place that must have meant Petrol was number one before you factored in the parking. :)

We usually hit the place at least once a week after work. Let me know what night you might be there and I will buy you a pint.