Hermes Recirc Manifold Design

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

jmarr

Hermes Recirc Manifold Design

Post by jmarr »

I have a Hermes system that is capable of ramping better than 1 deg F per minute when pump running full open. However I have been told that I should recirc at approximately 1 qt/min to avoid channling. At that slower speed it is difficult to ramp and one side of mash tun seems to heat faster than the other. Is there a manifold design that would allow me to recirc at full speed without channeling and maintain close to same temp on all sides of my Mash?

I have tried a copper halo - saw cuts fill with grain
I have tried small open manifold on end of centered tube- Uneven temp

Jim
214-802-1849
Guerra

Re: Hermes Recirc Manifold Design

Post by Guerra »

Jim,

I use the SABCO Brew Magic http://www.brew-magic.com/bmindex.html recirc manifold because of its simplicity. It is a piece of coiled hose that sits on top of the grain bed. No special whirly-ma-jigs or copper manifolds with hundred of holes in it, just a simple length of high temp hose.

Temp ramp on the Iron Beast
Raising Temp.jpg
I direct fire the bottom of the kettle while recirc'ing off the bottom of the keg onto the top of the grain bed. I adjust the speed of the recirc with the ball valve. The temp gauge also keeps track of the temp of the recirc'd wort.

This pic is from above during sparging, see the coiled hose. I use the same hose when I do Temp Ramps.
Sparging.jpg
This is a pic after the conclusion of the sparge. This is a better look at the hose laying on the grain bed.
Mash Tun.jpg
Using the "Poor Man's Manifold" it creates a whirlpool when in operation. IMHO because the recirculated liquid is not being "sprayed" on the grain bed it has less chance of channeling. A huge benefit is that it also does not plug w/ grain bits like most conventianal manifolds do. I don't think I have issues w/ channeling because my efficiencies are always above 76%.

Orlando
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

I did not see Orlando mention it, but he is using Silicone tubing. Do not use vinyl tubing for this application unless you want some extra "flavor" in your beer.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
snake10

Post by snake10 »

I second what Wayne said.
I used a wort aerator device which caused the wort to shower down on the grainbed. It worked like a champ for 5 gallon batches but when I went to 10 gallon batches the grainbed was tooo tall and my showerhead was nearly out the roof of my keggle. I have changed to just a simple 1/2 inch silicone hose like Orlandos. I made two. One is about 1.5 feet for ten gallon batches and the other is longer for 5 gallon batches. It bascically just sits on top of the grain bed and runs out. I just made the length long enough so that the tubing lays on top (vice short) allowing the end to face into the bed drilling a hole in it. Works fantastic and is simple. Wayne at Bargain fittings sells the tubing.
Bart
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

Just curious, I imagine the hose method works great for a wetter mash, but how about a wheat beer? I hear it can be a sticky mess (no experience here) and I would think a hose would channel more through a mash that resists whirlpooling.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I don't have a HERMS system but I do recirculate with my pump during mashout. I have a simple copper pipe with four open ends which delivers the wort back to the grain bed and it works great. I make alot of wheat beer and have not had issues with the recirulation portion of my setup. I have however gotten a stuck mash a few times, you really need to use around 1lb of rice hulls when doing a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer (by the way, my typical heffe is 70/30 wheat to barley malt). I do have a question for your though, if you run your pump full blast, don't you end up compacting the hell out of your grain bed?
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
snake10

Post by snake10 »

Bill,
Your right, full open on a pump during recirc will compact the mash and render it stuck. Rice hulls and a happy medium on the flow rate help. Flaked wheat without rice hulls will ruin your day. PITA for sure.
Bartman