Brew stand

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Dave Warner

Brew stand

Post by Dave Warner »

I'm building a single tier brew stand. I concidered bolding together perforated angle iron as seen in various spots on the web, but it looks kind of cheap and costs about as much as welding something sturdier. I've never welded before but I'm considering learning on this project. Alternatively, if I can find a good shop, I can hire it out.

So, has anyone here hunted down the cheapest angle iron or square tubing for building their brew stand? I know bed frames can be free, but I've read enough to decide I don't want to go that route (tough to cut/drill and a pain to weld). Any local scrap yards sell to the public? The box stores seem to be coming in around $2-3/ft.

Do you know a good welder or are you a welder?

Any advice is welcome. It'll be a simple box (18"X54"x22" approx.) on wheels for a 3 keg system using 3 55000 btu banjo classic burners.
MixnMatchBrew

Re: Brew stand

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Dave,

Edit. I'll just speak for myself here. I know several have welders in the club including myself. So let me know what your plans are and we'll figure out a plan on getting your rig welded up.

Your best bet is to buy steel at a steel yard. Probably half or less the cost of big box stores. Look under materials on craigslist

You could post on craigslist also with what you are looking for.

Bed frames are great material if you can get them. The older ones are stronger. They generally weld and cut easy.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]
BrotherhoodBrew

Post by BrotherhoodBrew »

I got some stainless from this place http://metals4u.com/ and it was priced great. I'm sure regular steel would be cheap and they will cut it down for you. Make sure you call because I had no luck with the online form.
Damon Lewis
Cedar Creek Brewery
http://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekBrewery
captbill

Post by captbill »

I built two brew stands, the second one I used 1"x2" steel tubing. I would not use angle iron, I would use tubing, much stronger. I got my steel very cheaply just south of down town at American Iron and Metal:2215 S Good Latimer Expy Dallas, TX 75226-2221 (214) 428-2861. They are open on Saturday mornings too. I also got scrap stainless, scrap Al. I haven't been down there in a while but the last time I was there they had some scrap kegs too.

Good luck.

Bill.
NanoBrew

Post by NanoBrew »

I think you definitely make angle work but I agree with Bill, tubing is much stronger. Then theres also the aesthetic factor, tubing looks better too. I have some experience welding and between me and Wayne could probably help you out with that.
When in doubt, your beer is always the fullest.
Anthony Perea
ssage21

Post by ssage21 »

I went a fairly cheap route. This is only a 5 gal set up and I figured I would upgrade to something else later. The whole thing is made out of CPVC and PVC tubing. I glued it stratigicely because I wanted to be able to bring the whole thing to a brewday in the trunk on my car. It does fit. I've brewed a lot on it since I put it together and it works great. It's all electric and I do the boil on a little turkey frier in the back yard. The best think is it fits behind the door to the garage so my wife doesn't complain about it.
S3014164.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Of course, I went the sleezy route, I purchased one of those two burner cajun cookers at Academy Sports for a little over a $100 (sometimes I see them on sale in the paper). I had a shop weld on an upper tier because I use a Gott cooler to do the mashing and I wanted to keep it away from the heat. You could modify it any way you wished depending on how you want to run your system. Anyhow, I have brewed countless batches on it and I am very happy with the whole set up. It also has two wheels on one end which allows me to easily move the whole thing around. I usually do 5 gallon batches although I could easily do 10 if I wanted to. Although not as fancy as one of those Beer Beer and More Beer systems, it seems to get the job done plus it has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive (did I mention that I am nothing if not cheap?). The system is also very sturdy, I am sure it will outlast me though I am getting a little long in the tooth. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Bill if I can locate I've seen a post of a 3 burner modification on that burner setup.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sub-125 ... and-83886/
Last edited by MixnMatchBrew on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

Thanks everyone. Wayne and Anthony, I'll definitely be keeping in touch.

I saw that Academy conversion and I'm glad to hear it holds up to your brewing Bill. I've looked into that, shelving, wood frame, bolted perforated angle, single and two-tiered, etc. There are a lot of options out there. I like the simplicity and accessibility of a single tier, single pump, direct-fired system, so that's the way I'm going.

For you welders, I've noticed a lot of rust and peeling paint on various systems. Do you have any experience welding SS to cold steel? I was thinking it'd be nice to make the vessel support(top of the frame) out of stainless where the heat is most intense, but welding that to a cold rolled frame to save on cost.
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Dave Warner wrote:I've noticed a lot of rust and peeling paint on various systems.
Unless you use Stainless in your stand construction, you will always have problems with peeling paint and rust. Frankly, stainless steel, paint or special coatings do not help you make better beer. IMHO save your money and spend it on items that help you make better beer (i.e. WIC, Ferm Temp Control, etc.)

This is a pic of my single tier/dual pump set up in all of its rusty glory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
NanoBrew

Post by NanoBrew »

Dave,
Welding stainless to mild steel is not an issue. I have done it several times.
When in doubt, your beer is always the fullest.
Anthony Perea
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

Guerra wrote:Frankly, stainless steel, paint or special coatings do not help you make better beer. IMHO save your money and spend it on items that help you make better beer (i.e. WIC, Ferm Temp Control, etc.)

This is a pic of my single tier/dual pump set up in all of its rusty glory.
True and agreed.

Nice system! You should put some rusty barbed wire on it to complete the west Texas esthetic. :D
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

Dave,

I was thinking a wooden deck that caught fire at least 3 times a brew would be more appropriate.
Bargainfittings.com

[email protected]
RobDrechsler

Post by RobDrechsler »

MixnMatchBrew wrote:Bill if I can locate I've seen a post of a 3 burner modification on that burner setup.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sub-125 ... and-83886/

nice link .. thanks.
Beer contains just a small amount of vitamins - that's why it's necessary to drink lot of it
Dave Warner

Post by Dave Warner »

I got my hands on some really cheap 1 1/2"x1 1/2" x 1/8" angles and I really want to try my hand at welding so I'm going to give it a shot with a flux core wire feed rig. If I end up with a warped mess, I won't be out that much $ and I will have learned I'm not cut out for welding. :)

If so I'll buy some square tubing and come back to you guys for help, wiser and more humble.