Yuengling clone recipes

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

phillipzayas

Yuengling clone recipes

Post by phillipzayas »

Anyone have clone recipes for Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale, porter and premium?

I have a neighbor down the street that is wanting me to clone them for him, so I said I'd look into it, but now I can't find the clone recipes.

Anyone have any links or recipes?
Last edited by phillipzayas on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
donniestyle

Re: Yuengling clone recipes

Post by donniestyle »

phillipzayas wrote:Anyone have clone recipes for Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale, porter and premium?
I take it your neighbor is from PA. I am also, but I don't find those beers wonderful. Although Yuengling enjoys Craft Brewery status, their beers are much less than Craft Brewery quality. Personally, I think their Premium is their best beer; I have plenty of company on that. Their Light beer is also wonderful.

If you want to clone any of their beers, use 6-row lager malt and corn grits, in a cereal mash. You will need to do a protein rest. Your conversion temp should be about 148F. See my post(s) on brewing CAP. For their porter, you'll also use some Crystal malt and Black malt. I guess some Crystal malt might be used for the Lord Chesterfield Ale.

They (at least when I asked the head brewer) use lager yeast exclusively. He called it "beer yeast" and said they used it in all their beers. I got a yeast sample from him, and brewed some fine lagers. Some friends in the Dallas area craft brew industry thought the yeast closely resembled some Czech Pils yeast. It formed large flocks, which floated in the lagering tank when the beer was crystal clear.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
JaySchafer

Post by JaySchafer »

I haven't tried these, but a few quick hits from Google:

Porter
http://www.mysharedmemories.com/get_rec ... Extract%29
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/48760

Lord Chesterfield http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewto ... f=4&t=5999

I've done the brewery tour for Yuengling's facility outside of Tampa... Pretty boring tour, 1960's era technology and feel (IIRC, it used to be a Stroh's brewery or something like that before Yuengling bought them out), but worth it if you're in the area and have an hour to kill. Great hostess/tour guide. Just don't expect anything exciting or "craft".

Not to threadjack, but I personally like Yuengling. It's no craft beer, and not Sam Adams quality, but for around a buck a bottle on the East Coast it's good for the price point. It's a good non-BMC beer to ease friends towards better beer.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Guys, here is a quote from the Yuengling web site.
Since 1829, D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. of Pottsville, Pennsylvania has produced a complete line of fine brewed products to satisfy the most discerning tastes of beer connoisseurs. For over 175 years each recipe has called for both American six row and imported two row barley malt along with a combination of Cluster and Cascade hops. Coupled with longer aging times, each of these craft-brewed beers offers its own unique appearance, aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. This home town brewer has the distinction of being a regional brewery without sacrificing flavor to appeal to the masses.
I visited Yuengling Brewery 2 times. While there I asked about their brewing process, and ingredients. It was a while back. I do know they use corn grits in a cereal mash. I believe this to be the case for all their beers. The Lord Chesterfield was really good, however, not as full flavored as English ales. I think this is because of the combination of 2- and 6-row malt with corn grits in a cereal mash.

So, I suggest using 10-20% flaked maize, 5% crystal, and the remainder half and half 2-row and 6-row. It's also not really highly hopped either. Maybe it's around 25 IBU. I'd shoot for a light amber color, about 7 SRM.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?