Reviving Yeast

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Reviving Yeast

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I am trying to revive a package of yeast. I have a Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager Activator pack manufactured in November of 2009.

I pitched it into a 1 liter starter on a stir plate last night. I did not see any activity this morning. How long should it take for this first step to finish?
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Brewboy

Re: Reviving Yeast

Post by Brewboy »

There's no way of knowing, it just depends on how many viable cells were still there. I've had a starter go for 2 days before showing signs of fermentation.

If you don't see anything by day 3, I'd say that there were not sufficient viable cells to propigate the volume you pitched in.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Jimmy Orkin

Re: Reviving Yeast

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Here is an update. This morning, after about 36 hours I am starting to see signs of fermentation with bubbles in the starter. I am going to let this first step go to completion, chill to drop yeast and pour off beer before I start the second step.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022