May Club Meeting Address

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Brewboy

May Club Meeting Address

Post by Brewboy »

May Club Meeting Address

Hello everyone! Did you get a grip; have you girded your loins; are you striving for victory? The time is now!

Do you have your entries for the Celtic ready? The deadline is this Thursday this week, so please drop your entries at either Homebrew Headquarters or The Wine Makers Toy Store by then. Log in for this competition is on Saturday the 15th at 9:00 AM at Fort Worth Homebrew. If you are able to lend a hand, I’m sure the Knights would appreciate it. I’ll be there with our entries in tow. Judging is taking place on Saturday the 22nd. If you can judge, they need our support. Watch the forum and we’ll probably get a carpool or two to get down J. Gilligan's in Arlington.

It’s time to start focusing on the Lunar, the Limbo, and the Cactus. All these summer competitions are right on top of each other so brew now and have competition entries ready. You’ve only got a little over a month till the Lunar and 2 months for the limbo and cactus.

The Lunar’s deadline for entries is June 25th and the entry dates for the Limbo and the Cactus are at the same time this year July 19 through August 5th. As always, it’s a busy time in the Competitions arena!

Now for some Awards for those bold, brave, loin girded individuals who dared to face the wrath of the judges.

ACCF 2010 Results
4. DARK LAGER
1. Leroy Gharis (NTHBA)- Schwarzbier

10. AMERICAN ALE
3. Scott Townson (NTHBA)- American Amber Ale

11. ENGLISH BROWN ALE
2. Scott Townson (NTHBA)- Northern English Brown Ale

14. INDIA PALE ALE (IPA)
1. Scott Townson (NTHBA) - Imperial IPA

15. GERMAN WHEAT AND RYE BEER
3. Scott Townson (NTHBA) - Weizen/Weissbier

16. BELGIAN AND FRENCH ALE
2. Scott Townson (NTHBA) - Saison

17. SOUR ALE
1. Melinda Beyer (NTHBA) - Straight (Unblended) Lambic

19. STRONG ALE
3. Scott Townson (Foam Rangers) - English Barleywine

20. FRUIT BEER
1. Scott Townson (NTHBA)

22. SMOKE-FLAVORED & WOOD-AGED BEER
2. Scott Townson (NTHBA) - Wood-aged Beer

27. and 28. STANDARD CIDER AND PERRY
3. Cody Gray (NTHBA)- Common Cider

Also the AHA Old West Regional Competition judging is complete and we had some members come out in the top 3. Here they are:

Category 22 Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer
1st Place - 22a Anthony Perea

Category 26 Other Mead
1st Place - 26c Wayne Yandell

Category 28 Specialty Cider and Perry
2nd Place - 28d Wayne Yandell

Category 20 Fruit Beer
2nd Place - 20a Scott Townson

Category 3 European Amber Lager
3rd Place - 3a Damon Lewis, Orlando Guerra

Finally, the April/May COC Extract Beers club results are in. A hearty congratulation is in order for:

1st Jesse Thoresen for his extract Maibock "May COC Bock"
2nd Doug Nett for his extract Scottish 80
3rd Leroy Gharis for his extract Schwartzbier

Thanks to everyone who entered. A special thank you goes out to the judges who volunteered their time and skills to support this competition. I’ve got the score sheets from this competition come see me later to get the feedback if you entered.

Today I present you with a quote from Henry J. Kaiser the great American industrialist.

“Live daringly, boldly, fearlessly. Taste the relish to be found in competition -- in having put forth the best within you”

Will you put forth your best?

Remember the smiles on the faces of those who were honored today with the Awards they earned. They know the relish to be found in competition. So how about you? Do you want it yet?

We are currently only 2 points out of 1st in the Lone Star Circuit. I can see victory on the horizon and I want it. But I can’t do it. You have to want it too.

We can win this we’ve just got to get the entries in front of the judges. So let’s get a Grip! Let’s strive for Victory! Let’s COMPETE and show those wankers down south what brewing is all about.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Bill Lawrence

Re: May Club Meeting Address

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Unlike Scott, I never reduce to writing any of my utterances as that practice eliminates the option of denial after the fact. By the way, what exactly is a "wanker"?
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Bill, though you may be the moral compass of the club the bar is set pretty low for that to give any plausable deniability.

Might as well own up to the spoken word. Though I was somewhat tounge tied last night, this is what I intended to say even if I didn't.

Now as to the definition of a wanker, it's a common slang British derogatory term. Though the actual definition is not appropriate for this family forum.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Oh
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer