Class Discussion - Question #2(Water)

A place to post and BJCP Class Related information or questions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

chomola

Class Discussion - Question #2(Water)

Post by chomola »

If one needs to increase the concentration of calcium ions in the brew water - there are three typical choices: calcium sulfate (gypsum), calcium carbonate, or calcium chloride. How does one decide which of these to use for their particular situation? What would be the impact to the resulting beer to these three choices?
donniestyle

Re: Class Discussion - Question #2 (Water)

Post by donniestyle »

Okay, I've said it in the past. Water is my weak subject. I think I may have some of the Carbonate/Bicarbonate stuff confused.

Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4): Also known as Gypsum, increases the Calcium and Sulfate content of the water. Is good for English Ales, because the Sulfate will enhance hop bitterness and dryness. In general, is not particularly well suited for light beers (particularly light lagers) because it can lead to a harsh aftertaste. Does lower mash pH, aid in mash enzyme activity, promote yeast health, coagulate proteins, reduces tannin extraction, keeps oxalate salts in solution,

Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3): Also known as Chalk, increases the Calcium and Carbonate content of the water. Carbonate is good for darker beers because it neutralizes acids from dark and roasted malts. Carbonate also reacts with calcium to reduce the hardness and promotes the extraction of tannins and coloring compounds. In light colored beers can make it difficult to lower mash pH, and cause many problems (high pH, high tannins, low protein coagulation, haze, etc.). Brewers may have to use long acid rests, use acidulated malt, or add lactic/phosphoric acids to the mash to correct the pH level.

Calcium Chloride (CaCl2): enhances sweetness at low levels. Higher levels impair yeast flocculation. Increases beer stability and improves clarity. Can be used up to 100 ppm for light beers and up to 350 ppm for beers above 1.050, however, these are fairly high levels. Edinburgh is noted as having 65 PPM and Dortmund 60 PPM Chloride.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?