Alamo City Cerveza Fest! Big Announcment!

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Brewboy

Alamo City Cerveza Fest! Big Announcment!

Post by Brewboy »

I just got word that this years Alamo City Cerveza Fest (ACCF) is scheduled for April rather than the normal August dates as in the past.

http://www.bexarbrewers.org
The 2010 ACCF

This year's preliminary schedule is:
Entry period: March 6-21
Deadline for Dropoffs at Austin Hombrew: March 21, 3:00PM
Deadline for Dropoffs in San Antonio: March 22
Flight Night: March 23
Judging Days: Saturday March 27, Saturday April 3, plus two other days
Competition Dates: April 9-10

Look for a return of last year's specialty category, Funkiest of Show, and the Brewer's Olympics!
This is a very important competition on the Lone Star Circuit. I will keep you appraised of registration activation and will be scheduling a packing party when I get more info.

The good news is that it's now close enough to the Bluebonnet to enter the same brews, the bad news is that it's so dang close to Bluebonnet time.

I do hope you'll enter this event. Let's do our best to keep NTHBA on top this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, North Texas Home Brews Assocaition brews the best Damn beer in Texas! Let's prove it.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Bill Lawrence

Re: Alamo City Cerveza Fest! Big Announcment!

Post by Bill Lawrence »

Scott, it's good you are looking out for everyone concerning the dates on these contests. Have our buddies down in San Antonio just recently changed the date on their contest or was this something that has been out there for awhile? I don't normally get involved in this one but it would be nice if the folks interested in such things were given a little more notice (especially those that would like to enter the bigger beers or lagers). Just speaking for myself but I start getting ready for the Bluebonnet right after the Limbo so I like the fact that it is scheduled at the same time each year. Unlike certain people, I don't have a whole ton of cold storage space so I can't come up with alot of entries at the "drop of a hat".

Your post actually got me thinking about our contest. It seems to me that I heard some talk about adding a few categories this year. To the extent there is any truth to that, maybe it would be good to make that decision and get it out there on the Limbo site (that way people can't bitch at us for springing stuff on them at the last minute). Just a thought, if I stepped on anyone's toes with this post, it was inadvertant and I'm sorry.
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Bill Lawrence wrote:Scott, it's good you are looking out for everyone concerning the dates on these contests. Have our buddies down in San Antonio just recently changed the date on their contest or was this something that has been out there for awhile?
A Rumor of the change was announced on Saturday and confirmation just came yesterday. They just updated their website yesterday. My first response to this was basicly WTF? I don't know the reasons behind the change and since the Lone Star Circuit has no rules in place to prevent changes like this happening (Remember the Cactus Challenge last year?) We just have to live with it.
Bill Lawrence wrote:It seems to me that I heard some talk about adding a few categories this year. To the extent there is any truth to that, maybe it would be good to make that decision and get it out there on the Limbo site (that way people can't bitch at us for springing stuff on them at the last minute).
Billl, I agree totally and that very thing will be on the topic of discussion at next weeks officer's meeting. I do hope that we can get the Limbo website updated soon!
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Brewboy

Road trip!

Post by Brewboy »

Registration will open on March 6th, and continue through March 21st.

Entries need to be received at the dropoff points by the 22nd.

With this announcement, It looks like I'll be driving the entries down to Austin on Sunday the 21st, the day after Bluebonnet.

More on a packing party once I get something arranged.
Scott Townson
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

God, I would not even want to think about driving to Austin and back the day after the Bluebonnet. I don't know about you but there were a couple of times I didn't feel all that well the Sunday after the Bluebonnet (must be the winter air or maybe I ate something that didn't agree with me, I'm not sure which). :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Brewboy wrote: A Rumor of the change was announced on Saturday and confirmation just came yesterday. They just updated their website yesterday. My first response to this was basicly WTF? I don't know the reasons behind the change and since the Lone Star Circuit has no rules in place to prevent changes like this happening (Remember the Cactus Challenge last year?) We just have to live with it.
Guys I do not think it was the ACCF's fault re: notification. They claim to have sent an email to the LSC re: the date change in October. The email just did not make it to the right people.

Well I for one am glad they changed the date. I went last year and it was FREAKING HOT in August.

RE: driving entries down. For the cost of gas we should be able to ship via pallet.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

We did add styles to the Limbo and the website was updated months ago. The new styles are:

1C Premium American Lager
1E Dortmunder Export
9C Scottish Export 80/-
16B Belgian Pale Ale
17D Straight (unblended) Lambic
L12 Other Smoked & Wood Aged Beer
22B Other Smoked Beer
22C Wood Aged Beer

We should have done a better job informing folks.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

Guerra wrote:
Brewboy wrote: A Rumor of the change was announced on Saturday and confirmation just came yesterday. They just updated their website yesterday. My first response to this was basicly WTF? I don't know the reasons behind the change and since the Lone Star Circuit has no rules in place to prevent changes like this happening (Remember the Cactus Challenge last year?) We just have to live with it.
Guys I do not think it was the ACCF's fault re: notification. They claim to have sent an email to the LSC re: the date change in October. The email just did not make it to the right people.

Well I for one am glad they changed the date. I went last year and it was FREAKING HOT in August.

RE: driving entries down. For the cost of gas we should be able to ship via pallet.

So... if they sent to the LSC in October and we all find out now...

Just curious if our envoy to the LSC (ahem) could try to get them to establish a process for notification for changes to any LSC qualifying event? I don't know what a fair process would be, but I'm sure we'd all want to avoid the Cactus thing happening again... I would think the LSC would have an interest in requiring a certain type of notification (and then forwarding that notification to participating clubs) and having a penalty for lack of notification.

Then again, with participation and increasing participation being a primary goal, I don't know that there's a big interest in discouraging any event or club.. I don't know. Just seems like if there were rules, then people might understand what they are and possibly follow em.
Cameron Mathews
Northernbrewer

Post by Northernbrewer »

Any word on results?
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

I emailed them last night and got a response that they were working on it. They said they hoped to have them posted by the end of the night, but obviously they did not.
Cody Gray
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

Results are posted.

http://www.bexarbrewers.org/accfindex.html

I can't seem to brew an award winning beer, but I did manage 2nd for Common Cider.
Cody Gray