Bluebonnet drop off

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

truckpoetry

Bluebonnet drop off

Post by truckpoetry »

I unfortunately missed the club meeting this week or I would have asked there. I know for most competitions we have to pack up our stuff or show up for the packing party... for BlueBonnet, can't we (I vaguely remember) just drop off in six-pack containers since it is local? I forget... Please refresh my memory. Looks like I'm going to have 6 entries this year (a bit weak) but we will see.

Thanks,
Cameron
Cameron Mathews
Brewboy

Re: Bluebonnet drop off

Post by Brewboy »

All Bluebonnet entries must be packeged in a box, a six pack holder is not enough to protect your entery being transported to the log-in. We will not have a packing party for the bluebonnet since we don't have to ship the entries off.

Just drop your entries at one of the drop-off locations found Here:http://www.bluebonnetbrewoff.com/module ... &pageid=44

Ensure that each of your entries are packed in a box for protection in transport and include the following:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Each entry for the competition should consist of three bottles. To ensure anonymity of the entrants, we recommend that bottles be standardized to standard 10 to 14 ounce green or brown bottles with no paper or ink labels. Any lettering or graphics on the caps should be completely obscured with black ink. Encourage entrants to use brown bottles for maximum protection from light. Traditional “longneck” style bottles are encouraged, while bottles with Grolsch-type swing tops and unusually shaped bottles are not allowed. Corked bottles meeting the above restrictions are acceptable; however, you must crimp a crown cap over the cork. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified. Brown bottles are encouraged for maximum protection from light. All bottles must be clean with a properly completed entry label attached by a rubber band. DO NOT TAPE OR GLUE ON BOTTLE LABLES.

A completed ENTRY INFORMATION FORM, BREWER INFORMATION FORM, and appropriate entry fee must accompany all entries. There is a limit of TWO entries per subcategory.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

OK so I'm good dropping them at HBH with all my paperwork and labels rubber-banded on. Just was curious about the "level of protection" that I would need based on how they would get transported to the Bluebonnet. When we ship them to competitions, we might as well put them in shock-absorbing steel containers or else UPS will find a way to destroy them (though I have found wrapping each bottle in bubblewrap then wrapping trios in bubble wrap then stuffing box with newspaper works well), but for Bluebonnet, I am assuming someone is locally driving them somewhere, not a shipper, so it would be less stringent of a shock absorption requirement - right?

So just a box with my entries and paperwork in it (perhaps in six-pack holders INSIDE the box) and maybe some newspaper?

Just curious what others are doing.
Cameron Mathews
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Yes, that's right. They'll be handeled by homebrewers so softer handling than what UPS will give you but they will still be stacked on top of each other maybe 2 or 3 deep.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Guys,

Keep in mind that HBHQ or WMTS is not the final destination for your entries.

Your entries will be picked up from the stores, by fellow homebrewers. Loaded into the back of someone’s pick-up and hauled to the Bluebonnet Log-In location, near the OK boarder. So even if you drop your entries off at the pick-up locations, they still need to be handled/shipped to the log-in venue.

For this reason YOU SHOULD NOT DROP OFF YOUR ENTRIES IN LOOSE SIX-PACK HOLDERS. Six-Pack holders are hard to manage and you run the risk of loosing your paper work/payment or worse your entries being broken in transport.

Instead I would recommend that you pack your entries in some sort of a sealable box (i.e. case boxes work great). This way the entries and paper work are protected in a sealed box TOGETHER. Damon and I will be using case boxes with minimal-no packing material.

One of the toughest challenges during log-in is to unpack the entries, verify payment, and then put them togther with the entry paperwork. To ensure your entries are processed quickly/accurately and to keep it easy for the folks processing your entries. I recommend the following:

You should pack your entries into a sealable box with the Entry Form(s) and payment or proof of payment.

You should label the outside of each your boxes, with your name (name used during registration) and also number your box(s), (even if only have one, i.e. “1 of 1” or in the case of multiple boxes "1 of 3", "2 of 3", “3 of 3” etc). This will help ensure that if your boxes become separated during transportation they can be easily reunited.

If you require multiple boxes you should include inside of each box a copy of your proof of payment and the entry forms for the particular entries packed into that box. In other words, if you are using multiple boxes, it is very important to pack your entries and the associated entry paper work into the same box. The paperwork and the entries eventually have to be reunited so keeping them togther in the same box helps the log-in process. If you don't, kept them togther then you will have to trust that someone at the log-in will find the correct paper work put them and your entries together. Which is allot more work.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

Dropped mine off today. 11 entries. Here's hoping for gold (and pottery!).
Cody Gray
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I dropped my entries off on Monday. I noticed several entries in six-pack holders only. This is a very bad practice. Not only are you subjecting your entries to possible breakage, you are also risking loss of the paperwork that is stuck between the bottles and the holder handle.

For your sake and the handlers, pack your entries in an enclosed box to hold your beers and/or six pack holders. Your six pack holders will not stack. Therefore they will be put on top of any stack and will have the greatest risk of falling and breaking. If they are in the back of a pickup truck the paperwork will likely blow away. Then you will blame someone else for not handling your entries correctly when you could have prevented it by putting everything in an enclosed box.
Leroy
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Folks, I just found out that the Wine Maker's toystore has entries dropped of in sixpack holders as well. We can't stress enough that if you want your entries to arrive at the competition in judgeable condition, you must protect your entries.

Box them up before you drop them off please!
Scott Townson