Märzen

Use this forum to request recipes from other club members. Also post your favorite or award winning recipes here.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

RyanWeary

Märzen

Post by RyanWeary »

Anyone have a good Märzen recipe? I've got one at home that I've put together through ProMash, but I'm wanting to compare it to others to see what I might be able to add/subtract from mine. Oktoberfest is only a short 7-1/2 months away and I'm going to be well prepared!

Thanks,
Ryan
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
Dave Warner

Re: Märzen

Post by Dave Warner »

All grain or extract?
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Ryan, this is what I'll be brewing on Saturday at the brewday at Fred's

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 24.50
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.870
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 27.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.00 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 13.50 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG 12.39 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.8 10.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
24.5 6.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
22.4 5.50 lbs. Munich Malt Light Germany 1.036 7
8.2 2.00 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 60
2.0 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
2.0 0.50 lbs. Melanoidin Malt Germany 1.033 35

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
3.75 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.80 23.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.80 3.8 20 min.

Generally, a good rule of thumb is to keep your base malt of pilsner or 2 row or blend to about 50 percent and your darker base grains of Munich and Vienna to around 40 percent. That leaves 10 percent for your color, sweetness producing malts. Give it a good long boil of at least 90 minutes to help develop those melanoidins. Use noble hops but keep them mostly as bittering hops. This style is not a hop flavor and aroma beer. You just want enough bitterness to ballance the sweetness. This is a Malt forward style.

I've strayed a bit from those percentages in the above recipe but I believe it'll come out just fine.

I'll mash this at 151 degrees single infusion mash. This is the water profile I'll be using:
Ca 99.5 mg 10.1 Na 21.6 SO4 41.2 Cl 63.7 Carbo 151.7

I'll be fermenting 1/2 of this batch with WLP833 Bock yeast and 1/2 the batch with Wyeast 2487 Hella Bock.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

Dave Warner wrote:All grain or extract?
All grain, sorry I didn't specify.

Brewboy - thanks for sharing. I look forward to meeting you this weekend, I think I'll get there around noon, going to vote in the morning then I'll head up.

Your recipe is quite a bit different than mine.

Maerzen

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.55
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 15.98
Anticipated SRM: 10.0
Anticipated IBU: 14.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.056 SG 13.70 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
48.1 6.52 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
40.4 5.47 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
7.7 1.04 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
3.8 0.52 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 10.3 60 min.
0.5 oz. Spalter Select Pellet 5.00 4.1 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

I use a three stage mash with this one. Last year was the first time I did it with this one and it was wonderful.

20 min @ 134
90 min @ 155
15 min @ 165

60 min boil - I haven't tried doing a 90 min boil on this one........but as far as water profiling is concerned....boy....that stuff is Greek to me. I was reading through the water profile thread in the help section during my lunch break at work today and it seems like a lot to take in. I've been using RO with 20% being standard Dallas tap. I've been getting fantastic results with that too. I have a Bohemian Pils I'm kegging next weekend that tasted out of this world last time I checked on it....again, using the same RO w/20% Dallas tap.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~ Frank Sinatra
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Grainbill looks heavy to me and your light on your hops. As per the BJCP style guide, specs for Marzen are as follows:

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.057
IBUs: 20 – 28 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 7 – 14 ABV: 4.8 – 5.7%

With only 14 ibu, your falling way short of the style and with an anticipated OG of 1.065 your too heavy for style. Then on top of that, with your sacrafication rest at 155, your going to end up with a really sweet beer there.

Since you have brewed this before and you like it then go for it but it won't be an Octoberfest/Marzen.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

I swear I've had a Märzen that was sweeter.....but....I wont be brewing it for a few weeks. That gives me time to chat with you and view your process this Saturday. Thanks for the input for now.
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

I agree with Scott, your formulation looks like a Bock to me. If you let your O.G. get too much over 1.055, the beer is going to start having way too much residual sweetness. Since I have made this particular error before, I speak from experience (you know the "more is better" thinking doesn't always work out). Go out and purchase a few commerical Octoberfests then sit around and taste test. I bet at the end of the day, you are going to like the ones that are dry but at the same time malty (incidentally, if you need help doing that, I volunteer). I have a decent formulation that did well a couple of years ago in Houston but I brewed it again last year and I am still not happy with it. I think what I may try when I do it again is cut down on the crystal type malts and add a little special roast. After that, I will just pitch a ton of yeast and try my best to get really good attenuation so the beer drys out the way I want it to. I think this is one of those styles that is very hard to do really well, I certainly have not found the holly grail yet.

Actually, I will probably start one of my lager cycles again pretty soon (I like to do a few back-to-back so I don't have to mess with starters but one time). I have three or four that I would like to do before the weather gets too warm and actually, it's not too early to start doing lagers for the Limbo Challenge. One of those will be a Vienna lager, I have a little screwing around to do with my recipie on that one also, I need to cut back on the hops just a bit. The problem with this hobby is that there are so many great beers to be made but I have only so much cool space plus you can only drink so much, right?
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

RyanWeary wrote: I think I'll get there around noon, going to vote in the morning then I'll head up.
Brother, if you come that late, just be aware that I'll already be in the process of bringing it to boil. If you want to see the crushing, mashing, lautering process it'll take place between 9 and 11:30.
Scott Townson
RyanWeary

Post by RyanWeary »

Brewboy wrote:
RyanWeary wrote: I think I'll get there around noon, going to vote in the morning then I'll head up.
Brother, if you come that late, just be aware that I'll already be in the process of bringing it to boil. If you want to see the crushing, mashing, lautering process it'll take place between 9 and 11:30.
Perhaps I'll just vote later then! I would like to observe. This is really big for me since I've essentially taught myself how to do everything. I started all grain brewing a while ago, but I'm always tweaking and reading and watching you tube videos. Nothing compares to getting to watch first hand and chat about the process. If we're all welcome to get there that early I'll do my darndest to get there, it is a long drive for me though. I'll have to get up at 7am on a SATURDAY to make it on time!
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

Mine is:

9 lbs Munich
3.75 lbs Pils
0.25 lbs Melinoidin

Bitter with Magnum to ~25 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertau at 15 minutes, (regardless of %AA)

I've spoken to a brewer at Paulaner and he said their Marzen is 70% munich, 30% pilsner, and a "touch of crystal."
I've used WLP 833 in the past, but I doesn't get the beer as dry as I'd like, so I'm going with WLP 830 next time.
Cody Gray