Competition bottle question

Questions and discussions about competitions

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

gray_59

Competition bottle question

Post by gray_59 »

I have a mead that I'd like to enter into Bluebonnet, but I bottled it in 375 mL bottles and corked it. The guidelines state that corked bottles must have a crown cap crimped over the top, but a cap doesn't fit on these bottles. Will the entries be disqualified if I send them in cork only?
Cody Gray
Brewboy

Re: Competition bottle question

Post by Brewboy »

Cody, as per BJCP rules, the beer judge can not disqualify an entry, only the competition director has that right. So, as long as your entry makes it past the log-in, I'd say it's a fair game entry. It's possible that a judge could bring it before the director at judging time but I don't know any judges that strict.

Most of us overlook raised lettering on the bottles and printed caps. There's no points for bottle condition, only remarks so while they may comment on it, you won't likely have points detracted for it.

No doubt it would be preferable to have capped bottles but scrambling for a cork screw at judging time is only a slight inconvience.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

First the disclaimer, I have never in my life made Mead so just disregard this if I don't know what I am talking about. If I were in your shoes however, I would probably rebottle your precious elixir into 12oz "tall boys" then cap 'um.

Here is my thinking for what it's worth:

First of all, why risk a disqualification? You are going to pay $7 per entry and the least you should get for your hard earned money is a completed scoresheet which you might not if you get disqualifed. Not only would you be out the money but you also will be giving your mead away for nothing, not a satisfactory state of affairs.

Secondly, I have never, ever seen any entry yet that showed up in a corked bottle (and I have been doing this for more years than I would like to admit). Now don't get me wrong because I like the folks I meet doing the beer thing but frankly, I have met some pretty anal folks doing this hobby (please don't ask me for specifics because I'll likely decline). Think about it for a minute, how many sane people do you know who are willing to stand around watching liquid boil for hours on end and then go to meetings with other like minded zealots to discuss it? It would not surprise me in the least if some holier than thou judge disqualifed your entry.

Finally, presentation, for some people anyway, is everything. Why do you think there are whole industries built up around making breasts bigger and butts firmer? What you really want to do is give the person judging your efforts a good impression from the moment he/she lovingly caresses your entry. Even though I think corked bottle have alot of class, you want your entry judged on how it tastes, looks and smells. Also, using a cork closure introduces some risk which I personally try to avoid when entering contests.

Anyhow, hope that helps you, if you have questions about exactly how to rebottle your stuff, we can talk about it and good luck. :D
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

I don't think I want to risk oxydation by rebottling. I'll just go for it. It's only 7 bucks, and if it gets disqualified then I'll know no corks and I'm only out 3 bottles. I *could* loose the whole batch rebottling, plus I like the corks! I even waxed 'em, but have removed the wax on the 3 entries. Hope some judge has a Swiss Army knife during judging! Thanks for the responses.
Cody Gray
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

Can the BBO committee answer the question right now? Scott, can you ask the head judge and competition organizer? The bottle is the correct size, however is it considered distinguishable? Is it a 375 standard or punted bottle? You should be able to get an answer before you waste your money.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

OK, I've sent an e-mail to Gene Wheelbarger to get a ruling. Hopefully I'll get a definative answer soon.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

Wow! You guys are great. I'm eager to hear the answer because I think its a good mead and would score well, hopefully after all this talk it is still "indistinguishable."
Cody Gray
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

So, what kind of bottle is it? It's quite possible that a wine bottle would be considered distinguishable. Only the competition organizer or judge director can disqualify an entry. Hope they are favorable for you.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

You might check out the thread entitled Bluebonnet drop off. Scott has a quote which would seem to answer your question (assuming of course he didn't just make it up himself). Anyhow, it would seem you need to afix a crown cap over the cork which sounds like it would be problematic for you since you waxed them. Additionally, at least by my interpretation of what Scott posted, the wax itself would tend to identify the bottle and lead directly to a disqualification (I am not a lawyer but I work with them for whatever that is worth).
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Gene e-mailed me back last night. He said to go ahead and enter these corked bottles that they would not be disqualified.
Scott Townson
gray_59

Post by gray_59 »

Bill - I took the wax off these entries and the mouth is too wide for a standard crown cap to crimp over them. I read that in the Bluebonnet rules section. But it appears it wont be a problem! Thanks guys.
Cody Gray