BJCP Class?

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Captain Kangabrew

BJCP Class?

Post by Captain Kangabrew »

Will the club be holding another round of BJCP training classes? If so, please provide any details. I am interested in taking the exam.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish.
Brewboy

Re: BJCP Class?

Post by Brewboy »

When one comes around again, I'll be there too.
Scott Townson
May judges be smitten with our brews and long for our nectars throughout eternity!!
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Does someone want to lead the class. Would need to start soon. I think they are planning to do a test in Ft. Worth again but I don't have any confirmation. We would have to check with Cap and Hare.
Leroy
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

Yeah, I heard talk of another Ft. Worth test this year at the Bluebonnet, but nothing is scheduled yet. If a test is scheduled this year, it would have to be in September or December. The BJCP limits the number of exams per month, because test graders are in short supply. Last I checked, October and November were full. There is an exam scheduled in Houston in October, if we can't get one here in DFW. I definitely want to take the exam this year.
Einar Jonsson
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I haven't heard of anyone that is planning an exam this year. With Ken gone, a few of us could get some study sessions going, and we can schedule an exam. I did ask Steve Wesstrom about it at the Scottish Festival. He said he would be happy to have his place as the exam location again. The thing is, we need to get someone to proctor the exam, and there has to be the official judges. In order to get the Flavoractiv kit, a syllabus needs to be sent to the BJCP.

I'm interested in taking the exam again, and it will require much more studying. It's high time to begin. The latest we can schedule the exam is mid November to have the results back before BBO 2010. That leaves less than 5 months to have class and study. Who do we ask to proctor the exam? Who leads the class? Maybe we can use Ken's format from last year.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Captain Kangabrew

How about all that are interested get together and discuss how we proceed? I have never taken the test, and have only judged a few times, so I am clueless on what to do next. Following Ken's format for last year sounds like a good plan.

Next week I can only do it on Wednesday night. If anyone is interested in this, I can host it as well.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I'm sure Ken will allow us to use his syllabus and presentations. Everyone enlisted last year also prepared and gave presentations on styles. One thing we did not do last year was hold mini exams; I really think this is important. Everyone needs to learn how to budget their time on the exam. Exam strategies need to be formed.

Last year we met on Sunday afternoons at Ken's home. That time seemed to work best. We will have to decide on a location also. I don't think I have enough room at my place. Who will volunteer the meeting location? I can imagine holding classes on school nights would be difficult.

Who, other than Ken, has a projector? The class would be more difficult without one.

I agree on getting together to discuss options, but think we need to start by inviting everyone in the club to participate. Maybe we need to set a goal for getting started. At least we need to get a message to everyone in the club. This venue does not seem to attract a lot of members. I think we have to have a mass mailing via the club officers. Jimmy, Damon, and Leroy are in CA until after the weekend. I'll start by crafting an invitation letter and ask them to spam the members as soon as they return. Can we agree on next Saturday or Sunday for a meeting to formulate a plan. How about Saturday or Sunday afternoon at a centrally located establishment? I'm located at 121 & Custer.

I'll send an email to several others now to start getting the ball rolling.
chris mewhinney

Post by chris mewhinney »

Hey Donnie. I may be interested in playing since I can't tell an IPA from a CPA. Or a porter from a concierge. My only reservation is that this sounds like a LOT of work. But I'll definitely attend a meeting to talk it over. However, I'm brewing on Saturday, so that won't work for me. If it's Sunday, I'll probably show up. Especially if it's at a German restaraunt with lots of wheat beers. But don't delay to Sunday on my account (obviously...).

Chris
Chris Mewhinney
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
chomola

Post by chomola »

I'm new to the club and would be interested in getting to know folks through something like this - I have been thinking about going the BJCP route. I would even be willing to host it at my house if that worked for folks. I'm located near 121 and Custer as well. Thanks, and look forward to meeting some local brewers! Chuck Homola
Brewboy

Post by Brewboy »

Donnie, I'm in for the class. Only thing is that I can't make it this Saturday. I could make it on Sunday though as long as it mid afternoon or later.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers!
myohe

Post by myohe »

Sign me up. Sunday afternoons work best. Saturdays make for good brewdays.
Captain Kangabrew

Sunday afternoon is good for me. I am also at 121 and Custer Rd. and would be willing to host. I have plenty of beer on tap if it makes a difference.
t_tronson

Post by t_tronson »

I'm in. Sunday is good for me too.

Todd
Trubadour

Post by Trubadour »

I'm interested. 121 and Custer location is perfect for me.
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

So far, it looks like Sunday is working better for those that say so. I guess Sunday afternoon would be better, and maybe mid to late afternoon. Most responses indicate that 121 & Custer is a good location to meet. I was stating that is where I live. For a meting location, we should probably choose somewhere centrally located for everyone. 121 & Custer for the planning meeting doesn't give us a choice of meeting locations, other than someone's home. There aren't any good watering holes close by either.