"What's Brewing" on Veria TV

Discussions about beer, life, that sort of thing

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Mike Grover

"What's Brewing" on Veria TV

Post by Mike Grover »

Has anyone from the club seen the episode of "What's Brewing?" that was shot over at Brian & Melinda Beyer's house? I found a thread on the Cap & Hare forum from a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it showed during April. If you have FIOS or Dish Network you might want to set your DVR to record this show. A DVD or videotape of this episode would be a nice thing for the club to have. This channel is not available on DirecTV so I'm out of luck.

http://capandhare.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260

Mike
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence? I think not. - Steven Wright
Brian B

Re: "What's Brewing" on Veria TV

Post by Brian B »

Mike,

That link dose not seem to work.

Brian
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

The link worked the other day. Looks like Cap and Hare are having trouble with their site.
Einar Jonsson
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I checked the schedule and see that there is an episode on Grains showing on Wednesday. We'll see if it's the episode shot at Brian and Melinda's or their usual lame crap. I had this set as a series and stopped watching it after I started craving wine spritzers.
Maybe the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Captain Kangabrew

Post by Captain Kangabrew »

Well, the Grains episode is not it. I was home this afternoon when the DVR kicked on and they were not talking about beer.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

Yeah, I just zipped through it on my DVR. What's this crap about making tea with grains!
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I received a DVD of the What's Brewing 101 episode on Beer. Apparently the show normally talks about brewing tea so this was a real stretch for them. The whole program is about 25 minutes in length with about 3-5 minutes from our brewday. I'll bring the DVD to our next brewday. They showed Brian and myself and good shot of the Homebrew Headquarters banner.
Leroy
Captain Kangabrew

Post by Captain Kangabrew »

Will bootleg copies be made available? I tried serching on http://www.veria.com but could not find a schedule.

I've also been searching the upcoming episodes and could not find it. Has anyone seen a re-air date?
A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish.
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

So is there a "TARD" telling us that you can tell if a beer is a lager or ale by the color?
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Yeah, there is a "tea historian" who says that is a lighter colored beer so it is a lager. The real fun stuff is the tasters at the end drinking an amber ale and a chocolate stout out of what looked to be handleless tea cups. I gather these must be their normal tea tasters. Some comments are made like "It tastes like beer." and "..tastes kind of stoutish, must be a German beer cause it's so dark.".
Then the ending is great. You get to learn how to make a "Beer Rita".
Copies can be made upon request. You might want to see it first. Maybe we can show at the next brewday.
Leroy
Bill Lawrence

Post by Bill Lawrence »

You know, I for one am glad that somebody out there finally can explain to me the difference between an ale and a lager. It really is so simple if you look at it like that but that does beg one further question. At what point from a color perspective does a beer become an ale, for instance a Kolsch is clearly a lager and a Swartzbier is clearly an ale but what about say an Octoberfest? Also, does the level of hop flavor or aroma play into the determination? I guess that is why I have been shying away from taking the BJCP exam 'cause frankly, I just don't get it. Just as an aside, what the hell is a tea historian?
Remember, brewers make wort, only yeast make beer
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

Yeah, sooo simple. If its blonde or gold, its a lager. Brown or black, its an ale, and amber of course, is a hybrid. :?

And WTF, a "Beer Rita"? What's next, a Barley Spritzer?
Einar Jonsson
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

A beer spritzer thounds FABULOUS!
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I think the Germans call a beer spritzer a radler.
Leroy
fratermus

Post by fratermus »

kingsbrew wrote:I think the Germans call a beer spritzer a radler.
A radler (or radlermass, something like "the bicyclists' portion") is beer and lemonade, 50/50. It's rather good for an abomination.

You prolly don't want to know about colaweizen.