Celtic Brew-Off Information

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Jimmy Orkin

Celtic Brew-Off Information

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I received the following about the Celtic Brew-Off. Files are attached.

WELCOME TO THE CELTIC BREW-OFF
On behalf of the Knights of the Brown Bottle Homebrew Club of Arlington, Texas, I am pleased invite your homebrew club to participate in the 2009 and 13th Annual Celtic Brew-off Homebrew Competition. This is the largest homebrewing competition in the country devoted to exclusively to beer, mead, and cider of Celtic origins. Each year the Knights of the Brown Bottle host the Celtic Brew-Off to coincide with the Texas Scottish Festival and Highland Games held in Arlington each June. Additionally, the Celtic Brew-Off is now the second leg of the Lone Star Circuit of Texas homebrewing competitions.

For this year’s contest, the style guidelines have been expanded giving your club even greater opportunity to see how your homebrewing efforts compare with those of your fellow brewers. Currently the Celtic Brew-Off Website, http://www.celticbrewoff.com is under revision, therefore, I have attached a schedule of events, a Celtic Brew-Off Rules and Registration Package and the Celtic Brew-Off Style guidelines.

The Celtic Brew-Off is open to all brewers and follows Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) guidelines. Note that the guidelines have been modified to incorporate styles unique to Celtic Brew-Off. Additionally, if anyone in your club is a judge or would like to learn about judging, they are welcome to participate in the first and second rounds of judging May 23rd in Arlington, Texas. Judges of all levels and experience are welcome. There will be door prizes for participating judges.
Put on your kilts, dust off the bagpipes, and heat up your brew kettles. I invite you and your club to come and join us for the fun and camaraderie of the Celtic Brew-Off. Please pass this to everyone in your club.

Yours aye,
Jamison Kirmser, Director2009 Celtic Brew-Off
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jimmy Orkin on Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Competitions Coordinator 2022
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Jimmy Orkin

Re: Celtic Brew-Off Information

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Forum would not let me attach 4 files. The fourth one is here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

There's a spot for payment on each entry form - I'm assuming we don't have to write a separate check for each entry, though, correct? I can just enclose, say, 4 forms and write a single check for $28 or whatever?

Thanks
Cameron Mathews
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

Just put the totals on one entry form and write one check.
Jimmy Orkin
NTHBA Data Guy 2022
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

All,

To clarify, an Entry Form and bottle labels must be created for each entry. One of the entry forms should include the payment information.

When you pack your entries for submission, include the Entry Form(s) and Check in the box w/ the entries. If you submissions require multiple boxes, number your boxes (i.e. "1 of 2", "2 of 2"), include the "Check" in the first box, in each box include the Entry forms for the entries packed in that particular box.

VERY IMPORTANT: For this and any contest: When hand delivering your entries to HBHQ, you SHOULD pack your entries in some sort of a sealable box (i.e. case boxes). If you drop off your entries in "loose six-pack holders", you run the risk of the payment/entry forms being separated from your entries or potential bottle breakage, while at the store or in transport to their final destination. Protect your entries and submission forms by packing them in a sealable box.

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

Thanks!!!

Follow-up question, based on your comments, Orlando - any idea where is a good place to get extra sealable boxes then (cheap, preferably)? I think for bluebonnet I had an empty wine box that I packed them in, but not sure if I have another of those lying around....
Cameron Mathews
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Truckpoetry,

My suggestion is for everyone to drop off entries in a "sealed box". I am not talking about anything special here, just a box that offers some protection for your entries and paper work so that they both make the trip from HBHQ to its final destination. If you have a bunch of entries, try to find a "case box" and just put your entries and paper work in it. Or if you just have a few, just place them in a 6-pack holder and place the 6-pack holder in a box, with some padding to fill the empty spaces. A wine box is good solution, but a little overkill.

If you are looking for cheap boxes suitable for "shipping" then make sure you check these out:
http://www.nthba.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a
At only $2.40 each they are cheaper then bouble wrap..
Orlando Guerra
truckpoetry

Post by truckpoetry »

Thanks for the tip.

Cameron
Cameron Mathews
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

Reminder Celtic entries due at HBHQ by Friday May 15th.
Orlando Guerra
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I cannot find any limitations on the number of entries per category or subcategory in the Celtic documentation, nor on the Celtic Brew Off web site. We have 2 days. Is there an answer?
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

donniestyle wrote:I cannot find any limitations on the number of entries per category or subcategory in the Celtic documentation, nor on the Celtic Brew Off web site. We have 2 days. Is there an answer?
Donnie,

I agree I do not see any limitations on the number of entries per subcategory or per medal category?. I sent an email to the Celtic Brew-Off Commitee requesting clarification.

For now let's ass-u-me there is not. As soon as I get a reply I will post it..

Orlando
Orlando Guerra
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

If there were no limits until now, it's possible that some brewers have sent multiple entries per subcategory. I do not think they can impose a limitation at this late date. Enter at will.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
Guerra

Post by Guerra »

donniestyle wrote:If there were no limits until now, it's possible that some brewers have sent multiple entries per subcategory. I do not think they can impose a limitation at this late date. Enter at will.
The email I sent to the Celtic Brew Off Committee was returned underliverable. I agree, Enter At Will!!!!!
Orlando Guerra
chris mewhinney

Post by chris mewhinney »

Good thing...I entered both of my Oatmeal Stouts. Different yeasts...

Chris
Chris Mewhinney
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".