Club Vote to Revise NTHBA COC/BR Competition

All archived info for past competitions and related posts.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

Guerra

Re: Club Vote to Revise NTHBA COC/BR Competition

Post by Guerra »

Yes, our COC winners do send to entries to AHA COC Nationals.

By adding more competitions would put undo strain on the individuals who already coordinate/judge/stewart the current COCs. The COC do not happen by them selves. A lot of effort and goes into planning and conducting a COC. The Comp Coordinator has to collect entries, log them, recruit judges, organize a time, conduct the event, and report the results. Not to mention that a typical COC judging session is 2-3 hours depending upon the number of entries. Another issue is that we already have difficulty recruiting Judges/Stewarts for the 6 COCs we already have.

Adding more competitions is just not the answer. What value would that add, especially when we already have 6 COCs and 8 LSCs. If an individual can’t get the feedback that they require from these events, then IMHO they are not really trying.
Orlando Guerra
"You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In The Morning"
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I just thought it might be important for everyone to see what the AHA has to say about the COC competitions.

Some of the stated purposes is to "educate members on the chosen styles" and "learn about competitions, beer evaluation and judging procedures". Also, points are combined with NHC points to determine Homebrew club of the year.

A question comes to my mind for the committee to consider.

Should Brewer Royale include NHC points?
Leroy
ejonsson

Post by ejonsson »

OK, here's my .02...

We have 2 awards, 1 for the COC as it is, and 1 for an overall competition that combines the COC points and the Lonestar points.

Brewing for the Lonestar Circuit requires a large investment of time and money. Not everyone can or wants to do this. The COC, as is, provides a competion for all club members to compete. It provides a variety of styles, and the winner must be a good and versatile brewer.

The brewers who make the investment of time and money for the competions in the Lonestar Circuit deserve recognition as well. My proposal to combine COC and Lonestar points allows us to recognize the Lonestar brewers, while keeping the COC relevant. Those who want to win this overall competion will want to participate in the COC for the points. Since participation in the COC has been down, this may help increase interest.

With enough interest in the COC in the future, there may be an opportunity to make future changes that some have suggested, such as adding competitions. I, personally, would like to see a mead and a cider among the competitions every year, even if we have to add these ourselves.

That's my proposal. I plan to make it to The Flying Saucer to discuss this with whoever can make it.

Einar
Einar Jonsson
MixnMatchBrew

Post by MixnMatchBrew »

I agree on most of the points and most of us seem to be arguing to the same end.

I don't think the COC or points should change as it is tied to the AHA.
I do think a separate award system should be put in place for the LoneStar Circuit.

The naming of the awards is immaterial but they should be distinct.
Leaving Brewer Royal name as/is will provide continuity.

Glad to see everyone getting fired up!

Wayne.
Bargainfittings.com

Past President, NTHBA (2011)
[email protected]