Beer brewing Software

This is a place where people can ask questions about brewing. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgable about brewing will respond.

Moderator: Jimmy Orkin

sirjohn

Beer brewing Software

Post by sirjohn »

Hello,

Does anyone use BeerSmith to log there beer? If so what do you think about it? I downloaded the demo but don't know how to fill out most of it. Looks really cool.

http://www.beersmith.com/
BigWally

Post by BigWally »

I use Pro Mash and have had very good results with it. It has a number of useful utilities in addition to the recipe formulator. See more at: www.promash.com
Haney

Post by Haney »

I use ProMash now. I used several other software(Brew or BrewWiz, can't remember)that didn't do much other than log what you did prior to that. ProMash will help you be a better brewer whether you have just started or are an experienced all grain brewer. It has good utilities to improve recipe formulation, mashing schedules and most importantly water profiles. Like the old Olympia beer commercials said; "Brewed in Tumwater Washington. It's the water!" Water is the largest component of beer and it gets the least attention from most brewers. Get ProMash, it's inexpensive and you can download it and be using it on your next batch.
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

I looked at Pro Mash but it looked a bit dated (DOS/Win95 like). I do like that fact that he has the handheld software if you want it available but don't know if it will work on the newer palms. It would be cool if you could take the data from the palm and sync it with your PC and have the data transfer into Pro mash.

I did find another palm brew software that looks ok called Brewpartner. If you want to look at it go to http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseactio ... dID=127334

If you want to look at a few screen shots you can see them here. http://www.brewpartner.com/

I will download both and check them out. Thanks,
sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

I also would like to update folks on brewing software I've been looking into called Beer Tools Pro. Nice interface, usable on either the Mac or PC. If you want to know more please go here: http://www.beertools.com/

Have fun,
snake10

Re: Beer brewing Software

Post by snake10 »

Can anyone comment on how beertools compares to promash? Beertools is MAC friendly as far as I can see but, when I look at what everyone is using it seems to be promash. I am a MAC guy and would like any input for a future purchase. snake10
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

I use Beersmith. The interface is easier for me to use. There is also a good forum to ask other user's questions and there is also decent support.
Leroy
donniestyle

Post by donniestyle »

I recently bought BeerSmith. I used Suds for Windows 4.0c for years. BeerSmith has a whole new inferface for me, but it is pretty intuitive. I've been using it for a couple months now, and I have my ingredients databases updated to include just about everything sold at Homebrew Headquarters (including cost). I like the integrated hops alpha acid loss calculator. While it does not automatically apply the AA loss to the recipe, you can easily check the predicted AA and change the AA of the hops in the recipe itself. I recently made another batch of American IPA, and the bitterness is right on par with my expectations. I never used ProMash, but know several others who swear by it.
Is your beer intimate, hand crafted, and artisanally made?
kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Beersmith +1 here. Simply because the interface is easier for me.
Leroy